Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for some feedback on these things.  Anyone know of new/used cost?  Are they available used?  How stable and warm are they?  What age do you think kids are ready for them?  Give me some general feedback.  My son will be 2 this winter.  I think he still might be a tad too small for this season, but next winter he should be good to go in one of these things.  Thanks in advance for any responses.

A

·
0 Posts
They are pricey new and used.  I personally would not let my daughter ride in one by herself until she is 5.  It all depends on their size and how well they listen.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I was in the market a few years ago and found them to be pricey - a few hundred $$.  Instead, I bought a two-up seat.

A friend of mine used one for his kids when they were younger and seemed to like it.  He never spoke of any problems.  Kids will always get cold, but it seems you'd be able to bundle them up a bit more when sitting inside a cutter.  Not sure of the stability but I've seen quite a few on the trails.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Have the tiny kids ride in front of you on the sled, instead.  Get a mountain grab handle and mount it 90 degrees of what you normally would so the kid has something to hang onto.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I would much prefer to have smaller kids in front also.  The kids like it better (because they can see), they stay warmer, and you have more control over them.  The mountain grab bar thing is a good idea that I never thought of though.  My kill switch would really appreciate that (if you know what I mean).

A

·
0 Posts
The cat cutter is the pull behind sled marketed by Arctic Cat.  You hitch it up to you sled and tow your kids along with you, or the keg.  Which ever is more important.  lol

·
Registered
757 Posts
They were big in the 70's.  Most major mfg's back then had something similar but Arctic Cat's is the only one to survive into the 80's.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Its  to bad you live so far away I,d sell you mine for 100.00 it's in pretty good shape (old ski doo brand)  

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ski-doo u-2 where do you live? I would probably buy it off you for that. Let me know. Kevin

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Polaris markets one that is better than all the rest.  It is enclosed, but costs about $1700.00.  My wife and I are trying to figure the best way for our kids.  Don't know if the 4yr old can hang on well enough to sit on the rear 2-up seat of a sled.  THe coach seems like the way to go, but some of those trails get pretty tough...hard enough getting a sled through, can't imagine towing something with kids over the roughest trails.

·
Registered
757 Posts
There is another enclosed coach on the market that looks pretty nice.  It has indepentant susp. and everything.  I think the company name is Orion.  Hopefully someone else can verify the name of the manufacturer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Our son was just just about 2 last winter and that was definately too young for riding in a sleigh.  Just like the others indicate they don't know how to hang on very well and listen to your instructions for that matter.  Plus you don't know how cold they are getting.  I have a Cat Cutter so am am ready when the time comes but that may not be until he is about 4, maybe this year around the yard but not any real distance.  He rides real good sitting in front of me but it is very hard for them to hang on with their little hands in warm mittens.  The mountain bar does work as he uses that when I give him rides on our 2000 Powder Special 600 2K otherwise all he can do is put his hands on the handlebar pad to stabilize himself during braking.  SnowCoach is the brand of the newer enclosed units and I think the Polaris one is actually a Snowcoach with Polaris decals.  Either one is spendy. Dan

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
You're right Dan about the Snowcoach brand with Polaris.  I guess Polaris liked it so much that they are marketing it for them.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't know if the 4yr old can hang on well enough to sit on the rear 2-up seat of a sled.[/b][/quote]

JR Graham catalog has a thing for young riders to hang onto--it's basically a kidney belt/back brace with handles on the sides for the youngster to hang onto.  Looks pretty effective.  Order a catalog from jrgraham.com, it's a great source for parts and information.  FYI the current catalog is good thru the end of August, so if you call right now, you may get an outdated one.  Make sure to ask.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Thanks Performx, I looked in Dennis Kirk and they also have a similar item.  Looks like it would be worth the money.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts