Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:whistling: Im running a 99 vmax 700, the sled goes pretty good but I cant hook up very good, Ive heard adjusting the limiter strap can make a differance, would I lengthen it or shorten it. The front end grabs every little rut, darts all over, does get a litttle scary. Id like to beable to lift the skis like my old mach 1, thats just fun. Any advice would be apriciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
what you need to do is ajust your transfer rods for max tranfer and maybe loosen off your limiter strap hope that helps you

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what you need to do is ajust your transfer rods for max tranfer and maybe loosen off your limiter strap hope that helps you[/b]
I can adjust the strap easy enough.. what are the transfer rods and how doI adjust them thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have ran 6 of these sleds, 600s and 700s to over 10000miles.
Let the limmiter straps out until the front shock is shorter than the straps, then tighten straps just enough to stop the shock from topping out.
Set the preload on the front shock to max.
Set the preload on rear shock as soft as possible and not bottom out. (Im 6'1" 180lbs, I set rear shock one click from the softest.
Set transfer rods for max transfer.
If that is too much transfer, back the front shock preload off a little at a time until you are happy.
This setup will also result in the best ride quality possible.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I can adjust the strap easy enough.. what are the transfer rods and how doI adjust them thanks[/b]
That's a question I'd like to hear the answer for as well.

I was just going to say generically that the softer your rear spring in the skid is set up, the more the skis will want to lift. Also, the more you loosen the *front* limiter strap the more it will lift (I don't know if you have front and rear straps or not, I always leave rear straps at maximum loose because I tune for powder). If you can adjust the pressure of your front skid spring, more pressure will also give you more ski lift. However the more you loosen that front limiter (and/or tighten the front spring) the less ski pressure you will get in general because the front of the skid is lifting the skis off the ground, which means less steering. That may or may not be what you want. Personally I like the option of being able to steer at least a little when going WOT, I like my skis to just barely skim the snow at that point so even just a little reduction in throttle gives you full steering control very quickly. If you're racing you probably want more lift than that for max acceleration. The way you stand on the running boards and how you pull on the handlebars is in my experience what makes the most difference in how much ski lift you get (but I'm a big boy so my weight may have more of an effect than yours). I would follow vx700xtc's advice and adjust for best ride quality first based on his guidelines then tweak to your taste.

So, anyone out there, what are the transfer rods and how do you adjust them? Are we saying this is a coupled suspension? If so, I wasn't aware of any possible adjustments except possibly uncoupling it.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
The early pro-action skids came with a fixed transfer rod, at some point(not sure when) they came factory adjustable.
I bought one aftermarket set of adj rods, found I liked them set to max transfer, and after that I cut the stop off of the factory rods and welded a new stop at the location of max travel on the adj rods.
The transfer rods attatch to the slide rails just in front of the rear axle, and angle forward and up to attatch to the crossshaft where the skid mounts to the tunnel at thr rear.
If your rods are not adjustable, spend the money for adj ones. Easily the biggest improvement you can make to this sled , and pretty cheap. Under $100. The biggest plus to this mod, is you can set the adj rods to the same length as the originals(but you wont).
Set up like I posted, under heavy acceleration, the skis should be about 6" off the ground. But if you get off the gas you will have all the ski bite you will ever want.
So this set up actually allows you to adjust your ski pressure on the fly with your right thumb.
Also will have a big effect on mpg.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Nice. Good info.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
we took the plastic bushings out of the 97 sx. it allowed more transfer but you could not go back, a plus of the adjustable rods. I never knew they used them stock? what years did they go to them factory?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think, not sure, the vipers were adj. The 03 RX1s were adj for sure.
And yes, ditched the fat plastic spacer of the SX for a thin one.
The XT, And XTC had a thin one to start.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts