Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While Snowmutt and I were in the Mancelona/Grayling/Fredrick/FifeLake/TC area's this past weekend we saw this out on the trails....I believe this was leaving the Starvation Lake area where he had just gassed up. It looked like a fun sled but where was the suspension? lol Oh his back had to hurt. [attachment=33568:post_203...71364634.gif] Many of the locals were out and had thier older sleds with them.. Really neat to see them too.
This is one of those JohnDeere spitfires I believe.
Snow4[attachment=33569:2_12_2007_19.jpg]

·
Registered
88 Posts
My cousin had one of them when we were much younger and indestructible. The sled seemed bulletproof. I think he still has it somewhere...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Those sleds bring back some great memories, but do you guys remember the Massey Furgeson?
I ride with my dad's friend's kids and he rides a massey.
As my friends dad says "best damn sled ever made" :D

Frank

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
LOL, funny how when you're younger the backs not an issue, but as we age watch out :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
252 Posts
my first sled was a massey ski whiz(or cheese whiz as we called it lol)that thing would go through anything.when it finaly died we just left it where it was behind my buddies barn.i think its still there. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
329 Posts
my old man had a massey ferguson whirlwind when i was younger. they were a fast sled. 100 mph on a cold day on a road. then my uncle bought the massey scorpion. they both had 440 fan cooled engines but the scorpion had the dual carbs so it was faster. later my dad bought me the massey chinook, it was a 300 single.

revracer
you brought back some really old memories. thanks

dahmer

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yeah, as soon as I saw that old John Deere spitfire, I thought of the Massey right away.

Let me tell you guys this story about the massey.

My dad's friend, and his children were riding with me, and my dad last year. The kids were 10 yrs (boy) and 15(girl). We stopped after a hour or so of local trail riding(the 10 yr old is riding the Massey, so we were talking about the M-10 suspension, and the 10 year old says: what's suspension?
you guys could have imagined our faces after that!! :lmao:
we thought he was making fun of the massey, but he really didn't know what suspension was!! :lookaround:

Frank

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Oh the memories just start to flow when I see the older sleds....

It's easy to figure out why my back has its good and bad days....lol

Suspension....ahhhh....another memory.
When I was a youngin' - the only suspension I knew about was the one I got for goosing Lisa in the hallway after shop class.... :blush:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yep, those darned Trailfires had something to do with my back being bum too I think. Nice and stable, indestructable, but holy cow, the rode like a speeding sheet of plywood. Never much minded when they were new and I was in my twenties.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with riding one of thoughs all day. My 440SS was my primary sled untill this year. You just have to remember 2 things when riding the. Never sit down all the way and to medicate as soon as you are back to the cabin before you get stiff (No smart comments). !!!

I will be honest, I am more sore from riding the Cougar than my old 440.. I am to use to tossing the sled arround like a rag doll.. I cannot do that with the cougar, I try to through it and I move. :dazed:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts