Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, ive been wanting a 98 xc 700 for a while now because i know they are real quick and very reliable but, now i have found a 98 xc 600 for a really good price and im just wondering if there is a huge difference between the xc 600 and 700 or are they almost the same? thanks

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
the 600 goes pretty good, the 700 has more get up and go but it not a huge difference. the nice thing about the old non ves 600 is it is a big block and has the torque like the 700. with some miner mods you can really get here going. a slp single wakes here up alot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh i forgot to mention that it also has stinger pipes on the 600. what is the top speed of those xc 600s stock? i heard the 98 xc 700 gets about 110mph

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
well got get about the pipe them, the top speed is really all how it is gear but stock i think they are about 105 in the gauge meaning more like 95 to 100. friend nick had his reading 107 one day.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The big block 600 is an awesome sled. Newer 600s will give it fits on top end, but they are no slouch out of the hole. As said above, the 6 and 700 nearly run the same.

I had a 98 600 and with good clutching it would stick with my 01 800 MXZ till about 80.

Now, the only "bad" part is that Polaris and Mikuni had somwhat of bad carma between each other and Polaris ran Keihin carbs on the 98s, which are OK, but they were never really made for sled applications. Getting them tuned in is a real SOB.

If you are looking for MPH, these are not the sleds to get, but they are light, very durable and handle pretty good. You will find they are actually lighter than the Fusion sleds and the Pro-X before it (all that plastic on the newer sleds)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The big block 600 is an awesome sled. Newer 600s will give it fits on top end, but they are no slouch out of the hole. As said above, the 6 and 700 nearly run the same.

I had a 98 600 and with good clutching it would stick with my 01 800 MXZ till about 80.

Now, the only "bad" part is that Polaris and Mikuni had somwhat of bad carma between each other and Polaris ran Keihin carbs on the 98s, which are OK, but they were never really made for sled applications. Getting them tuned in is a real SOB.

If you are looking for MPH, these are not the sleds to get, but they are light, very durable and handle pretty good. You will find they are actually lighter than the Fusion sleds and the Pro-X before it (all that plastic on the newer sleds)[/b]
i got to make a note here the prox 600 is 470 lb, 06 fusion 600 ho 477 lb, the 98 xc 600 484lb dry weights so it is not lighter but still not that heavy, lots lighter then a triple. with some suspension adjustments you can make the thing feel really light.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Put them on scales and the numbers are different, never the less, not many riders can see the difference in 10lbs. If you peeled the plastic off of both, one would have a hard time telling the difference between the 98 CRC-Indy chassis and the Edge-ProX chassis, they are relatively the same parts (bulkhead, tunnels, suspension, etc.....)

IMO the Indy-CRC is a very stiff chassis that handles very well. Lighter sometimes ends up sacrificing rigidity.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Mr Editor, with all due respect, I'd have to disagree with your comment regarding similarity too. Your comment may carry well regarding GenII and previous model sleds, but moving forward through the sled generations from there, results in some pretty significant changes between them - in most of the parts you mention. There is very little/no commonality actually. There are 3 very different rear suspensions - the only thing they would would have in common is that they are all coupled and use trailing arms. Geometry is totally different. The tipped up tunnel of the Edge would give it away pretty easily. The cross bar between the shock towers and forward mounted steering of the Pro make it pretty easy to pick out. There's more, but that should make the point.

I do share your opinion of the sled, and the carbs.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Per my point, over the years it was mearly refinements. You can actually trace the design back into the early 80s. That's my opinion at least.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
<<<If you peeled the plastic off of both, one would have a hard time telling the difference between the 98 CRC-Indy chassis and the Edge-ProX chassis, they are relatively the same parts >>>

My point. It's relatively easy to see the difference in these chassis, and there are 3 distinctly different chassis here. The ProX shares NO chassis parts with an Edge, which shares very little with any previous generation.

If you'd like to say the later chassis have simply evolved from the earlier ones, I'd agree with that. You can trace the evolution back to the days of the oak grouser bars.....

None of which changes the fact regarding the original question. It's a great sled!

Splitting hairs - summer style!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
i got to make a note here the prox 600 is 470 lb, 06 fusion 600 ho 477 lb, the 98 xc 600 484lb dry weights so it is not lighter but still not that heavy, lots lighter then a triple. with some suspension adjustments you can make the thing feel really light.[/b]
Wet weight the Wedge XC600 is lighter then both

never believe dry weight #s that manufactures put out

·
Registered
304 Posts
i had a 99 xc 700 it flew stock i put hot seat twins on it i was smokin almost every thing fastest sled i ever had it could push 115 120 on hard packed

·
Registered
2 Posts
okay, ive been wanting a 98 xc 700 for a while now because i know they are real quick and very reliable but, now i have found a 98 xc 600 for a really good price and im just wondering if there is a huge difference between the xc 600 and 700 or are they almost the same? thanks
/quot e]I owned two of them had very few issuse with either of them. Sold one with about 5000 miles on it rode the other 10000 miles before she finally burnt down then rebuilt it and put another 3000 miles until she really burnt down hard and took out the crank. Other than that it was a darn good sled.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts