Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my sled for two sessions now and I was going to stud my track cause of traction problems at higher speeds. My track has little wear in it so I was wonding how many studs to put in???? should I go 96, 144, 168, or 192. I consider my self an aggresive rider but i don't want to understud my sled. Any input would be great? I have read a few things and every i have read so far doesn't match up .

·
Registered
200 Posts
i have the 98 fromula z 670 and have 144 and it seems great i have no problem i think that is a good starting point for that motor no need to over stud

·
Registered
193 Posts
i have the 98 fromula z 670 and have 144 and it seems great i have no problem i think that is a good starting point for that motor no need to over stud[/b]
Dont buy Colored nylon backers they come off easy it is what's on mine, and remember studs means tippin in corners insted of slidin through them, and also the trees come up real fast in the trails.(hit two in UP) because your darting right for them with studs, I,m ready to take mine off. because im losing speed in the turns,Crash Dummy

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I,m ready to take mine off. because im losing speed in the turns,Crash Dummy[/b]
If you pull the studs out, what do you do with the holes that are in your track?
Won't it stand the chance of ripping easier?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Dont buy Colored nylon backers they come off easy it is what's on mine, and remember studs means tippin in corners insted of slidin through them, and also the trees come up real fast in the trails.(hit two in UP) because your darting right for them with studs, I,m ready to take mine off. because im losing speed in the turns,Crash Dummy[/b]

How many do you have? With the right amount of studs you still can slide the corners a bit, but you also get to carry more speed because you have traction. When you get a sled set up perfect with studs you can rail the corners. Mind you some people prefer to slide more than others. I would go 144 up the middle if it were me.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I would use no less than 144 myself. not sure why studs make you dart for trees, that has never been a problem for me. icy corners is the best time for studs. good carbide is a must 8 inch 60 degree. .

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I'm not sure why studs would make you dart for trees either :confused: ...I initally put 96 in my track and immediately had one pull through..I put in another 48 and it has been great ever since..I definetly wouldn't go with any less than 144..

·
Registered
795 Posts
I would put 144 min down the middle. If you are always racing on lakes then you might want to put some on the outside. If you are worried about ripping studs out, just take it easy on the trails when you are riding in low snow conditions. I know guys that are always ripping studs out, but they don't slow down when there is low snow conditions :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would put 144 min down the middle. If you are always racing on lakes then you might want to put some on the outside. If you are worried about ripping studs out, just take it easy on the trails when you are riding in low snow conditions. I know guys that are always ripping studs out, but they don't slow down when there is low snow conditions :D[/b]
what i mean by darting for trees is, if you dont have the carbides (good ones) on your ski's, and you coming up to a turn at 30/35 mph and it's ice, all them studs are forcing you over the turn.Or to the edge of trail.because your ski's arn't grabin there sliding in the turn. Crash dummy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts