Snowmobile World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Bill .congrats on the new world record.Just over surfing the cosdra web site and noticed that the amature improved stock class was only allowed trail studs. Is this also the case for ice racing(cant see how youd ever hook up a high hp sled on ice with round trail studs)Do you have a kit  or suggestions geared towards a mach z (kind of steet strip as it were) that you could run in this class and with a little clutching still be able to run on the trails? Ive never had my mach on the timers before but it looks like you"d have to run a 5.80 to 6.00 flat to be competive in cosdra aimp800. How quick would say a stock mach z go if set up properlly?

·
Registered
288 Posts
The amatuer classes require that trail studs only be used and that is in the grass as well as in the winter, in the winter though the amatuer classes don't race on ice they have snow drags for these classes. I can give you a tip though and that is if you are going to run these classes the best studs for the grass and snow are Woody's Megabites as they are square ended and they work almost like a chisel stud, they will give you the best penetration on the grass and are still classed as a trail stud.  --  Bill

·
Registered
417 Posts
John, the amateur classes are actually quite competitive. I've run 700, 800 and 1000 for the last two years #29x. Learned a lot the first year and did pretty good last year. IMO if you have a stock sled you would be better to run in amatuer stock. No studs allowed but thats only worth about 3/10's. In stock you should only need a 6.4 to be competitive. All the fastest in class guys last year can't run amatuer this year(can only run two years then must turn pro) so this would be a good year to get your feet wet. Don't get me wrong, a well set up Z with studs will run in low 6's if not the 5's. The big dogs in amatuer improved run some pretty big mods. I was running a 160 hp. 670. This year I am going pro and also going to a triple 700 to compete with those lads. Hopefully compete. Any other questions just post them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response guys, actuaclly the sled is far from stock, the machine is not lowered(yet) and I would guess that it makes hp in the mid to upper 160s. It is really set up for radar runs and in that venue it is very competive, I just dont know how the competiviness of a radar sled would carry over to drags. Use to run a 96 mach z in isr stock back in 96 to 98 , that sled was unreal on grass but only so so on radar.My mach is a 98 which currently has the stock pipes(tried aftermarker tuners and seemed to not pull as hard even after trying a box full of clutching parts) Just debating on a big bore with the stock pipes for that stealth look or go with a set of pipes and have it dynoed before and after to really hit the cluching on the money.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Unfortunately the 98 center dump pipes aren't real good for 500' as they need lots of heat to make power. You could install restrictors in the stingers to build the heat quicker. Gear it at 2:1, 280 ramps and lots of pin wieght. It should be very competitive when dialed in. What is the driver wieght?

Not to step on Bill, but I don't think you can run any stud that has a flat side. You should E-mail Chris Bedard at COSDRA and check first.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Gonna move this to Racing guys..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.