Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Bill .congrats on the new world record.Just over surfing the cosdra web site and noticed that the amature improved stock class was only allowed trail studs. Is this also the case for ice racing(cant see how youd ever hook up a high hp sled on ice with round trail studs)Do you have a kit  or suggestions geared towards a mach z (kind of steet strip as it were) that you could run in this class and with a little clutching still be able to run on the trails? Ive never had my mach on the timers before but it looks like you"d have to run a 5.80 to 6.00 flat to be competive in cosdra aimp800. How quick would say a stock mach z go if set up properlly?

·
Registered
288 Posts
The amatuer classes require that trail studs only be used and that is in the grass as well as in the winter, in the winter though the amatuer classes don't race on ice they have snow drags for these classes. I can give you a tip though and that is if you are going to run these classes the best studs for the grass and snow are Woody's Megabites as they are square ended and they work almost like a chisel stud, they will give you the best penetration on the grass and are still classed as a trail stud.  --  Bill

·
Registered
417 Posts
John, the amateur classes are actually quite competitive. I've run 700, 800 and 1000 for the last two years #29x. Learned a lot the first year and did pretty good last year. IMO if you have a stock sled you would be better to run in amatuer stock. No studs allowed but thats only worth about 3/10's. In stock you should only need a 6.4 to be competitive. All the fastest in class guys last year can't run amatuer this year(can only run two years then must turn pro) so this would be a good year to get your feet wet. Don't get me wrong, a well set up Z with studs will run in low 6's if not the 5's. The big dogs in amatuer improved run some pretty big mods. I was running a 160 hp. 670. This year I am going pro and also going to a triple 700 to compete with those lads. Hopefully compete. Any other questions just post them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response guys, actuaclly the sled is far from stock, the machine is not lowered(yet) and I would guess that it makes hp in the mid to upper 160s. It is really set up for radar runs and in that venue it is very competive, I just dont know how the competiviness of a radar sled would carry over to drags. Use to run a 96 mach z in isr stock back in 96 to 98 , that sled was unreal on grass but only so so on radar.My mach is a 98 which currently has the stock pipes(tried aftermarker tuners and seemed to not pull as hard even after trying a box full of clutching parts) Just debating on a big bore with the stock pipes for that stealth look or go with a set of pipes and have it dynoed before and after to really hit the cluching on the money.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Unfortunately the 98 center dump pipes aren't real good for 500' as they need lots of heat to make power. You could install restrictors in the stingers to build the heat quicker. Gear it at 2:1, 280 ramps and lots of pin wieght. It should be very competitive when dialed in. What is the driver wieght?

Not to step on Bill, but I don't think you can run any stud that has a flat side. You should E-mail Chris Bedard at COSDRA and check first.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Gonna move this to Racing guys..

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Krusty it already has restrictors,actually a guy down your way at powerhouse racing gave me the size and placement of the restrictors,guys were very helpfull.Again ive not had this sled on the grass in its modified form but i had good luck with the 280 in our 96(still have them in a box) I run a 54-48 helix for radar and trail use (ocassionally a 52)  and i weigh about 180.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sounds like you're all set John. There is usually a test and tune in June or July where you run all day long with thier timing system. Come out and try it. It's a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
hi guys i to will be running the cosdra circuit this year; when u say 2:1 is that 2:10or 2:01 that realy sounds low. i run 1:76  i was wondering if i can run both amm. and pro. i have ran the amm stock in the past and did not realy enjoy that ,so i run pro. but if i can run both then i will.im getting a timmer system so i will let u know how the gearing works out .....or not......he he. ps. chrys dosnt have the proper email atleast i cant get it thru. and there are no grass schedual yet

·
Registered
417 Posts
You cannot go back and forth between pro and amatuer. I use a 2.10 to 1 gear ratio, but 2 to 1 is a good place to start and go up or down from there. There is a phone number for Chris on the website.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just sent Kris 20 bucks for the rulebook. I'm gonna run this year  
 Any gotta do's or never do's I should know about. Cool cart? Extra wheels? remove sliders? or are these nice to haves.....

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bill, I bought a 9814 and head kit from you. (I might have to run my stock track when I get the rule book)

800imp. (amateur). Running a '99 F3-800.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I raced only at the Sturgeon Falls race in Aug. 2000, and only entered two classes, the amateur improved 700 and also tried my luck up in the Pro. improved 700. All I can say, is if your just starting out or running a trail sled, it better be really dialed in and you must be very quick on the lights if you go into the Pro classes, as the regulars of the circuit (COSDRA) that run Pro are very quick and fast. I won the amateur imp. 700 that day by close to three lengths, but was eliminated in the second round with the Pro's. Also, my times were actually slower than the stock 700 classes run by the Pro's. Grass racing is fun, and if you try it you'll want more. Extra wheels, shaved sliders, a cooling cart (make sure you only run water in the engine if using a cooldown system), gearing and jetting down, along with strapping front and rear of sled, all help greatly. You also need shin pads, a good helmet and a safety vest, for your protection.
Hope this helps !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I did well (except for sleeping on the line

) in the COSDRA amateur ice drags in north bay this past winter.

Do you know anyone selling a vest?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah there was a vest for sale all winter in the Orillia area,ill try to find the number for you. It was in the super shopper  and I dont think that it sold. The price crept down a little every week. All you guys that race in amature or are going to race in amature wouldnt have a spot to test and tune would you? I live in Stayner in the middle of farm country and nobody seems to crazy about letting sled arrate their yards> would like to put on a few passes before trailering to an event. Also has anyone tried a g tech pro to stop watch their sled before?

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you can find the number that would be great....

Test track? Maybe my back yard.... oh wait, it's 50 feet wide... (I live in the burbs)

Never bought a G-tech pro but always thought about it....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts