Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey Dan, took my first big adventure with the 89 Ski Doo Mach 1 yesturday.  We went 220 miles and the last 60 miles or so was hell.  I had the largest engine out of the group but I couldnt keep up for anything.  The suspension killed me.  Today I can't move.  So whats the key to making this machine work?  I am 175lbs, the previous owner was larger so the springs are set on the stiffest setting.  I am not experienced in re building shocks but can buy new ones if necessary.  Or do you know of a complete suspension upgrade I can make for it.  Anything,  I am just worried I won't be able to ride with my frineds this season.  I guess at the least I will be upgrading the sled this summer!!!  Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
918 Posts
You definately need to set the springs softer, that will help. After that I dont know if theres much you can do to help the ride. If I were you and thinking of a new suspension Id look at a whole new sled first.
                 Ryan

·
Registered
124 Posts
try setting the springs somewhere in the middle and go from there. you just have to experement to get them right.
220 miles is a long ride too- that may be part of the reason you are hurting.

you also have to remember that you have a 13 year old sled, its not gona preform like the new ones.  i wouldnt put any money into it as far as buying a new suspention goes, they're pretty expensive.

- Jason

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
like Mr siv said 220 is a long ride on that heavy slead. what type of trails where you ridding ? groomed or home made trails?  when things get bumpy and twisty that sled gets you right in the arms and back. the middle is a good start of point and if its realy hard on your arms check ski allingment. i dont have mine anymore but i still like switching with my buddy's 89 mach. Good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.  I found out my friends were hurting as much as I was after the trip.  They were real snowmobile trails, but since Houghton is one of the few places with snow on the ground they were beat to death and it was incredibly bumpy.  I am going to adjust the springs and I bought a kidney belt to help with some of the pain.  Then I am going to go snowmobiling again, because it rocks!  But I was thinking,  if anyones sled is feeling deprived from lack of snow, just drop her off with me and I'll take care of her.  Let it snow!

·
Registered
27 Posts
You are right a Kidney Belt is beneficial after a long ride.  If you don't have one I would definitely go buy one.  This is probably one of the best investments I have made.  I have a cheap one ($35) and it works good as some of the other $65 ones.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Actually, there are studies showing that people who wear kidney belts are more prone to injury because the belt doesn't give you full range of motion, so other muscles have to compensate.
         Take it from a football player: The best thing to do is just take some ibuprofen (Tylenol, Aspirin, Advil (works best)) before the ride and possibly during and after the ride, and your pain will never appear. You'll feel as good as new....tired, but not sore. (Haven't found a way not to get tired yet!...caffeine maybe..but then you have alot more pitstops...if yo get my drift...
)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The kidney belt concept sounds like it would work.  I think it would be the same as wearing a weight belt when lifting weights in the weight room.  It protects your back, and I would never lift heavy without it.  Who else has experience with these belts?  Friday we are heading up to Copper Harbor so that will be a shorter 100 mile trip and I am going to try it out and see what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts