Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, folks - I haven't been on here for a while - been out of the country and could not get internet access. I used to be known as "thundercatzr" but forgot my darn password. Dang! I had a pile of posts racked up!

Anyways, just curious if anyone has any rides planned for this year? I would love to get out and check out some new territory. LadyK, you seem to always be cooking something up. Anything happening? I live in Eastern Ontario but can travel to anywhere

If anything is in the works, please let me know - I would love to hook up with a group for a nice, sober tour.

Cheers

Scott

Ride Hard, Ride Safe Ride Sober......and we all live to ride another day.....

·
1,327 Posts
Welcome Back Scott,

There are a bunch of US in Ontario that have been planning a ride but I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

Many from the same group are planning to meet at the Toronto Show on Friday this week. If you are planning to go we will be in the beer tent at about 5:30 or so.

Maybe you post will get things rolling with the Ontario ride again.

Welcome back.

DP

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DP - Let's see if we can get something cooked up.

I will be heading to the show but not till saturday. Any meetings planned then?

I am just back from working in Africa so I am itching for snow! I thought I saw a flake fly by about an hour ago - I chased it down and it was only the neighbor's dandruff.......what a letdown.....

that is how bad it has gotten.......

Scott

·
1,327 Posts
Ouch, I think you got it bad.

What were you doing in Africa???

I spent a year in the middle east working at a University in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

It was Amazing money but no snow, now alcohol, and not much else.

I saved a lot of money though.

I believe there are some people planning to meet on Saturday, not sure who thought.

I will be back on Sunday, I am taking my brother to do his Rider Training course

Where in Ontario are you from??

DP

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in Casselman just east of Ottawa.

I worked in Africa flying people into bush camps and tourist flights. Based in Kasane in Northern Botswana. Flew people over the Victoria Falls and the Okavango Delta. The Good Lord was in a good mood when he created that part of the world I'll tell ya......such beauty....

I made okay money, there was too much alcohol, and I made friends that will last a lifetime.....

Don't get me wrong though - I didn't imbibe too much...Drinking and flying is as stupid as drinking and sledding - equally incomprehensible

I would like to get my son in the Training program - any idea where I can find out where they will be held?

we should try and hook up for a tour this winter - ever get up Barry's Bay area?

·
1,327 Posts
Hey Scott,

You can contact Lori at the OFSC driver training.

705-739-7669, ext 238.

You could check with her to see if there are any openings at the toronto show on saturday. the cost is $25.

That must have been a really cool job.

I have been flying for about a year and a half now, there are 4 pilots in my family so I guess I come by it honestly.

I haven't been to the Barry's Bay area but I have heard about the area before.

I have a cottage in Ahmic harbour, which is pretty much dead centre between Highway 11 and 69.

I'm always up for a group ride when the snow flies we can make some plans.

Donovan

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds good Donovan - we will stay in touch thru here - I have a cottage in Barry's Bay so we could maybe make a weekend of it.

cheers

Scott

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I'm heading up first thing saturday morning. I'll be wearing a red Dale Jr. ball cap & a Ski-doo X Team jersey. I also wear glasses so you should be able to spot me.

I've been thru Barrys Bay quite a bit. Is there gas in Madawaska this winter?

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Hey Scott, nice to have you back. Must have been quite an adventure. PM Corey and I'm sure you should be able to get your post numbers back.

We have been talking about riding over to the Mazinaw area. We spent alot of time in Cochrane last year. Had the time of my sledding life. Definately we are heading back that way this winter and over to Quebec I think too. Hopefully the weather will prevail and we will riding in the zone here too. Although I gotta say Cochrane is the best. If ya can make one of those tours too you will be sure to have a good ride.

A bunch of us are meeting at the show in Toronto next Friday evening. The beer gardens at 5:30. If you cant make it Friday there is another bunch meeting up on Saturday as well.

Donovan: I think we are all just waiting to see what the snow conditions will be like. Besisdes if it snows PM me , come on up and we will ride :D

Last edited by LadyK at Oct 21 2002, 04:33 PM

Attachments

·
Registered
752 Posts
Welcome back Donovan , sounds like you had a great time in Africa . Probably a few horror stories too is suppose ....lol or were you in a " good " part of Africa . I know a few people that have been over there and would never return . Anyhow glad to have you back .

So where and when is the meeting on Saturday ? I will be there as it opens or before to do some advertising sales for our District map , well at leat I hope to sell some ads. See you there

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Indy, what district will you be at?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Actually I won't be " at " anywhere . We are trying to produce a map of our District ( 5 ) and are in need of some advertisers to help pay for it. So our Ex- District Operations Director and I are going to try and make some contacts at the show and see if any of the people at the booths are interested. So i'll be there early and be floating around being a travelling salesman ( oh boy my life's dream ...NOT ) . Well somebody has got to do it . We had planed for this map to be printed by mid September and be at all the retailers by now but it is hard to get people interested in Snowmobiling in July. With any luck we might have it by Mid Dec ...well better late than never .

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Indy try to sell the advertising to snowmobile related businesses. I've seen maps that only had loggers, construction companies, body shops etc. Not a single motel or restaurant for the area.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Well that was our goal , to have a map loaded with all the necessary information to be a tourist and come here to ride and have all the information need right on one map . Like most other Districts and Associations already have and speaking form experience it is darn helpful when you don't know the area . When I ride somewhere I get the District or Association map and every place I eat, Sleep or fuel up comes from that map ...why because I am a tourist and with out the make I have no idea where to go or where to stop. Also these are the people that supported their clubs by placing an ad.
Now to our problem this map was started in May , trail maps from all clubs were gathered up and our printer put them all on a road map size map . Now each club was to sell 3 ads throughout the summer for the back of it . Thus raising enough money to pay for printing . Well nobody does snowmobiling stuff in the summer so everything was basically left till late Aug . We have heard every excuse possible for not buying an ad. I personally have had no problem selling ads but other people can't even get a nibble. No one sees this area as a tourist attraction ..and guess what without a map they never will . That’s why we are going to try to sell some ads to snowmobile related businesses at the show and hopefully get enough interest to go to print in mid November.
I know it was long story ...lol

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Best of luck Indy. I was never involved w/ the map when I was on the Paudash executive, but the scenario sounds the same. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts