Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a ZR 800. I am looking for a sled in any condition. i do not care if it is carb or EFI. I would prefere a standard model not a Cross Country. What are the most common problems with these sleds? Is the 01 slower than the 02, if so why? I am looking for any info I can get. I plan on adding reeds, a single pipe if EFI twins if Carbed, and the respective clutching. maybe a few other mods here or there. I would appreciate any info I can get. Thanks.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've got an 01 800. I love it. Can really throw it around on the trails. The biggest mod I would tell you to do is to put a 1.25" track on. In northern Minnesota, there is a lot of snow. I am amazed at how different my sled is. I have never had so much fun on a sled than doing power turns with the new track. As for clutching, reeds, pipes, the only thing I have done is put an MBRP silencer on it. Let me tell you-- looks, sounds, runs great. If I had my way, I would probably get the cross country. The suspension set up is much better. Thinking of getting an M-10, and putting reeds in. Still toying with the idea.

As far as speed, there is quite a bit, lots of power, but the 800 Cross Country always sems to beat me by a little bit. I ride with a bunch of guys and 4 of them have the Cross Country. About we are all about the same weight, so I am stumped why they beat me all the time, not that it matters, anyone can go fast in a straight line. But isn't that what all the losers of races say? I think it may come down to clutching. My sled has over 4,000 mi. Need to do a clutch job.

Get the "Ditch Pickle!!!!"

D

·
Registered
180 Posts
i am willing to sell
my 2002 zr 800 (its a 925 now)
black efi,

if youd be intersted in something like that
comes with cover and a couple extras!!

jim

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yup, 1.25 track is nice and once you ride with one you'll never go back. I'm on my second '02 800 cce carb, ran the first one up to 9300 miles and found a low mileage "puff" to ride this year. Bought green the first time but now I'm riding a black one. IMHO a Cross Country is the way to go as is an '02 over an '01.
Great sled................enjoy.

Rick.
:cool:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Great sled. I have over 4500 miles on mine now with very little trouble. Most were Cat updates. You may be getting beat by the 02's on your 01 because I believe they made a clutching change from 01 to 02. But not a big deal because I would reccommend a clutch kit from Goodwin. Jet it down a few sizes. Good to go.
Things to look for in an 800. If its an 01 make sure it has had a piston update. I personally would say get an 02 CCE. You'll like it. This 800 is strong and bullit proof. If its an 02, there are some minor updates and things to look for like coolant hoses wearing on bulkhead, and some front skid shock bushings. Good luck

·
Registered
582 Posts
With the 02, my brother and 3 other guys I ride with all had the same problem. The smart valve in their gas tanks malfunctioned. Wasn't letting gas to the throttle bodies. Just something to think about too. This happened to all of them around 200-400 miles. There is a definite plus with an 02. The running boards are wider. Boy I wish I had wider running boards. Does anyone know if cat has some kind of kit or something to widen the boards?

D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by Brother D@Feb 17 2004, 03:45 PM
With the 02, my brother and 3 other guys I ride with all had the same problem. The smart valve in their gas tanks malfunctioned. Wasn't letting gas to the throttle bodies. Just something to think about too. This happened to all of them around 200-400 miles. There is a definite plus with an 02. The running boards are wider. Boy I wish I had wider running boards. Does anyone know if cat has some kind of kit or something to widen the boards?

D
That's why I went with the carbs. :D

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Anyone buy the 03 ZR 800??? :slick:

They should be great trouble free 3rd year sleds

BTW Did cat have a recall or problems with the shocks on the 2002 CCs

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by FreezerBurnt@Feb 17 2004, 06:26 PM
Anyone buy the 03 ZR 800??? :slick:

They should be great trouble free 3rd year sleds

BTW Did cat have a recall or problems with the shocks on the 2002 CCs
I think in 03 they only offered the 900, but I could be wrong.

Some 02's had an issue. Mine had an issue but not recalled. Mine was with the end cap. I ended up making my own bushing for the end cap out of nylon and it works great. The stock bushing is like a rubber. Therefore it would wear out and hammer the endcap to nothing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
They definitely made the 800 ZR in 03. The remote adjust front skid shock had a recall. Starting with 02 they added rear coupler set up which really helps a lot. If you weigh in over 180 lbs., go for the cross country or sno pro version. Never had a single problem with 02efi, out performs carbs except when the weather is perfectly matched for your carb jetting, which changes from morning to mid day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts