Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding Polaris for 11 years I'm thinking about a new 2002 Summit 800 with a 144" track. I have been satisfied with my Polaris experience but am willing to try new things. Any information on suspensions, the 800 engine, RER, or anything else would be appreciated. The dealer has them here for $7100 with RER and $7350 without. Thanks in advance for the info.

Jack

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Get the rer.We had a bud with the summit 600 and it went everywhere.He seemed real happy with it, others will be able to tell you about the other things. :) :)

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Why is it cheaper with RER?

Seems strange, but go with the RER, I would pay more for it.

FishHog

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
:withstupid: lol. My gist of this is that the summits handle and turn easier in the powder =more tippy so they are not as good on the trail. There were a few recalls that need to be performed to the 02 800 engine, other than that it is a great motor and provided me thousands of kliks of enjoyment on my 02 800 renegade. The rmk's are a better all around machine and with a few lightweight parts can climb high. The new vertical escape comes with all the lightweight parts- spring order only but costs quite a bit more than the summit. I would shop around for prices as I have heard of 02 800 summits going for 5999usd in the crate. Just M2C

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry fishhog, my dyslexia was kicking in. It is more for the rer. Permafrost, I ride alot in the mountains and in my area I see all kinds of machines with 151" tracks. My only problem with a track that long is that I still have to ride the trail to get to the powder and hills. I've ridden my buddy's Vertical Edge and I have to tell you it was the most awsome power I've experienced. That is why I'm getting an 800. Any opinions on which machine would be more suited to aggressive tail riding on the way to the mountain?

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I hate to say it but the rmk will be better on the trails. The RER is great and has improved since it's introduction in 99. The RER will not help you get unstuck. It is only for parking lots, unloading and oops im on the wrong trail.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am a Ski-Doo fan but I think that the SKS 7 or 800 would be a better sled. Its got Ryde Fx rappid adjust clicker shocks, 144" track, awesome looks. I think the SKS would be a better all around sled over a summit 800 144". I love ski-doo but those sks's and rmk's are hard to resist.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got a '03 800 Summit Highmark with rer. It's my first non Polaris sled. Should be an interesting year. Pray for snow. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I ride in the mountains and reverse is worth every penny. It'll help you get turned around in tight spots without dragging the sled around. When trenched in you can often stomp down a launch pad behind the sled, back up a couple feet and go for it. When stuck pointed up hill you can often back out of the trench enough to pull the front end around. When decending off a "oh mygad I'm goona die" drop you can put it in reverse and nail the throttle and throw a snow pile in front to slow you. If the snow is deep don't expect to use it sitting on the sled, get off and walk it back. Once you've "learned" how to use it you will never own a sled without it. get a prescription from your chiropractor be cause it sure can save your back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts