Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering which ramps are best suited for grass drags and speed runs "radar runs."  I have heard people say 280 and CF1's are good drag ramps and a 293X is a good speed run ramp.  I am currently running a 98 Mach 1 700 triple.  Could someone please tell me if i am on the right track or which ramps are particularly good for these applications.  Thanks alot guys all input appreciated

·
Registered
852 Posts
In general, I suppose you are on the right track, but the ramp is  just one of many tunable parts and and you probably cant put to much merit  into just the ramp profile. If the ramp starts off high and looks like the roller is gonna fall off a cliff , like a 280 ramp it will give you a wicked primary upshift, which for drag racing is normally a good thing, .....however, theres sooo many combinations of helixes which upshift the secondary at different rates, and sooo many primary springs that can slow or speed up the way your roller rides on the ramp, you can actually have say a 286 ramp with the right (heavy) pin weight, and a lighter primary spring , and probably acheive  similar results as say a 280 set up.In other words theres a whole  ton of variables that you can all flip flop around and get similar results. Now that your probably totally twisted, happy testing.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Thats a good answer ballsout1 I would like to add when you are tuning write everything you did and the results, down dont rely on memory clutch tuning gets very tricky if you start guessing!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I just pulled out the Ski-doo racing manual and here is what it says:

"For drag racing & radar running, it is usually better to try to go as low as possible on the adjusterswithout dropping the peak engine RPM too much as this will give the vehicle its fastest acceleration and top speed.

For oval racing or tight snow cross type courses, you may find you need to be 1 or 2 numbers higher on your TRA adjuster to give you the best throttle response out of the corners."

I've got the '99 Racing manual and here is what it says for the '98 Mach Z 809 for grass dragging:

Gear Ratio:23/43
Ramp: 280
TRA adj.: 2
Spring: 250/460(pink)
Pin: #170 043 08 (solid 23 gram)
Lever: std
Second. Spring: beige set at B-1
Cam: 50*-47*
Belt: 415 045 000

'97 Mach 1 700
Gear ratio: 21/44
Ramp: 386
TRA screw: 4
Spring: 230/280
Pin: solid
Lever: New 97 gram aluminum
Second. Spring: beige set at 19 lbs A-6
Cam: 52*
Belt; 415 060 300

Irealize these aren't exactly the same sleds, but they might get you in the ballpark.

·
Registered
361 Posts
revrnd, the specs. you have for the '97 Mach 1, were misprinted in your book. The ramp is actually the 286, and the spring is the stock pink/white (230-380). The rest is correct. Just wanted to clarify to avoid confusion.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Limskii: was this corrected in another manual?

·
Registered
361 Posts
revrnd, I'm not sure if it's corrected or not. I only have the '97 race manual, which the Mach 1 setup is correctly printed, and I have even used the setup in the past. I remember the misprint in either the '98 or '99 manual that I've looked through at my dealer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
WHEN SETTING UP YOUR CLUTCH,YOUR FIRST CONSIDERATION SHOULD BE TRACTION. FIGURE OUT HOW MANY STUDS YOU WANT TO RUN AND GO FROM THERE. AS FAR AS A GOOD ALL AROUND RAMP... I LIKE THE 228 FOR TRAIL RIDING, AND LOW PROFILE RAMPS FOR SPEED RUNS.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks for the info guys, i've been gone for a while and haven't checked my replies on this post but oh well, Yeah i realize that the ramps aren't the main objective for setting my sled up for drags but just wanted some input on what to start out with, What do u guys think about for a helix? Should I use a large angle cam for drags or is that a speed run application? Thanks again guys

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 00 MXZ 600. I replaced the stock 280 ramps and purple/yellow (160-230) primary spring with 293X ramps with a green/white (250-380) with clickers set on #3 or #4 and a 53/47 teflon helix with the stock secondary spring at about 18lbs.  This gave me very excellent holeshot with engagement around 4800 rpms.  This set up also gives excellent midrange pull and does not sacrifce top end at all.  I raced against my friends 01 MXZ 800X and we were side by side up to about 80 mph when he started to SLOWLY pull away. I also raced against a 01 XC 600, side by side the whole time.  The key to this set up is traction!  Without GOOD traction this set up does not work very well. (Best used with 1.25 track and 120 to 144 studs for a 600)
Just to verify something, this set up is very close to the 01 MXZ 600 set up, but it seems to work better on the 00's than the 01's.  I asked a dealer why, they didnt have an answer but they were curious about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts