Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Knowing the pin weight means nothing without knowing the rest of the set up.  Mine set up is currently as follows:
18 gram pins, 230/320 spring, 280 ramps, stock 53/47 helix, Goodwin teflon buttons, 19 psi driven spring tension on stock driven spring, Ski-Doo 067 belt, stock gearing.  This is not perfect but it works OK.  I think a bit more pin weight with a 230/350 or 230/380 spring may be better.  There are also some good set ups out there using the stock 297 ramps with more weight.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Could you please tell me what weigh you are running?

In your experience, have you found the HO likes to be loaded heavy? or left at stock?

thanks

·
Registered
668 Posts
670HOTH- ya i know, and agree, that pin weight is realitive to the rest of the setup.  I figured i'd ask the weight and the ones with allot of weight, I would ask what there setup was.

Which brings me to a question about your setup.  What do you engage at with the 230/320 and 280 ramps?  I used this setup on the grass, as the race-manual suggests.  I was engageing at over 5000 and worked great for grass.  However, i never tested it on the snow.  Do you run this on the snow?  If so, do you get good traction?  or just dig ruts on the starting line?

·
Registered
99 Posts
This set up engages about 4700 on my sled.  I put an SC10III on my sled for better ride and handling but I gave up a lot of traction.  With the SC10III this set up hooks up fair but not great but with the SC10 it hooks up and launches like a rocket.  And yes I use this on snow and Ice. Its a bit aggressive for trail riding but it is great for radar runs and drags both.

·
Registered
264 Posts
670HOTH:

How does your revs react on that setup? I tried it and with the stock gearing it took too long to get up to 8000 with the 53 degree start angle. I have two Haikonen HO's. On one I use 297 ramps,18 gram pins, 230-320, 53-47 @ 19 pounds and geared down one tooth with an 1 1/4 track.  The other uses 297 ramps 200-290, 15 .5 grams, 46 deg BI Helix @ 18 ponds and stock gearing and track. The lighter pin weight setup is very revvy but pulls hard down low but the top end suffers. The other loads very hard and the backshift is poorer but top and bottom end are awesome.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It does take a moment to get to top RPMs with the set up I described but not too bad.  It actually does start to shift too early but I think that may help me with traction.  I think I would like to try your 18 gram pin set up with the 297 ramps.  What does it engage at?  Do you think it would work if I do not gear down?  I have the stock track.

·
Registered
668 Posts
HO RIDER-  I too would like to know your engagments?  

I have a similar setup to your 200/290 set, and i engage at 4300-4400.  I am thinking of trying the 230/320, 297r, 18.2g to see if my engagment will come up.  However, I think my top R's will be too high.  They already go to 8000 using the 200/290!

What does your HO with the 1/14 track, 24gear and 230/320 engage at?  Are you able to hook up at the line, without spinning too much?

·
Registered
264 Posts
230 - 320 with 297 ramps will engage @ 4500 - 4600 on a calibrated tach. It hooks up very well with the 1 1/4. It shouldnt overrev with this spring because it only adds 30 pounds to the finish rate and with the extra 2 grams of weight it should be close. The only problem with this set up is the 53 degree start angle is still a little much. A 52-48 or if you are heavier a 50-47 work well.

·
Registered
668 Posts
THANKS!  I  have a 52-48, so i think i will try that exact setup!  

Now the trick is finding someone to race against who wont change anything while we are racing!  

1 - 12 of 12 Posts