Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok..I rode my 670, pulls very hard, very quick.
Then I rode my cousin's ZRT...his sled is fast. I know it is fast becuase I've seen it beat alot of others. He used to beat me all the time too (till the Cudney clutch kit came in to the picture
)

What I noticed from his is that it seems alot softer on the throttle. It doesn't seem to pull you by the seat of your pants like mine does. Kinda seems to lag....I mean..its not a bog...just not as torquey as mine I guess..not as responsive..its hard to explain.

Now I know that triples don't have the torque that twins do on the bottom..but is this something that could possibly be remedied with clutching?

I'm kind of getting cold feet about the triple conversion...I kinda don't want to lose that initial pull off the line...help me out guys

·
Registered
664 Posts
Supreme Horsecollar, Are you thinkin' of getting a triple? Like you said the twins have the advantage on the low end torqe wise. Triples seem to always top out higher. My dad had a 98 F3 600 and he used to race against my 00 mxz700, I always pulled him off the line by quite a bit. Couple seconds later I watched the purple people eater fly past! On a unplowed road where I was hitting 112mph he was getting 115mph maybe even a little higher.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually Stiemy..I'm considering dropping a MachZ engine into my 670 chassis...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Rocketman:Ride a mach z and you will see the difference in power.Your 670 will seem like a pooch,handling is a different story though.The single pipe tripple is a great idea.Loads of torque!!!!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Rocketman i had a 97 mxz 670 that don emery set up for me a couple of years ago and the last time i raced, it was a 2000 zrt 800 clutched and picked. I stayed with him for about 600 ft and you should have seen his eyes. All i can tell you is that i wish i still had it, not that i dont like my 01 800 but that 670 pulled like an animal. I would suggest keeping the 670 and buying a mach z , best of both worlds. IMO

·
Registered
357 Posts
My buddy has a Formula Z 670 and his brother has a Mach 1 700, on the line the 670 will take the wholeshot but the 700 pulls away very fast. The Mach, you can hold it wide open in a field and the ski's will not touch the ground, lol. But I rode his 670 and they will push you off if you are not holding on right.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I agree with krusty 100%.The form 3 800 was a solid sled.
The only way i would buy another tripple is if it was a big tripple with a single pipe.Hmmmm i wonder if that would fit in the zx chasis

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Rocketman.  Your one mistake is that you compaired your 670 to a Arctic Cat triple.  

The Cat triples do not have Rave valves (Which optimize torque)  The cat triples also take much longer to rev up.  

The doo 809 is in my opinion the fastest spooling engine out there.  If you go with triple pipes you will loose some torque but have amazine mid range and top.  If you go with single you will get the torque down low and a good midrange.  

I can promise you that the last thing you will experience when putting a 809 in your sled is a disapointment in performance.  Your sled will be just plain awsome.  

One thing that you will notice is that you can always get arm pulling accel with a triple at any speeds.  They dont just loose all guts after 100km like the twins.  

Sled Head.  Lighten up man.  Where all here to have a good time.  Dont make comments you will regret later when no one takes you seriously.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah..I've never had the oportunity to ride a Doo triple....jsut rode the closest thing I had.

Can the Triple/triples lift the skis off the go? I guess that is what I really want to know.  

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Better get wheelie bars because it will probably lift the skis if you gun it at 50km.  

Seriously if your suspention is set up right and you have enough traction you will lift the skis for as long as you want.  

The rotax triple vs cat triple is night and day.  Its awsome.  

You could probably get the sled to flip backwards on you.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Machzzz1 I have heard of a lot of people having problems in the past with the crank bearings on rotax tripples (sealed unit) is that true?? Is that still an issue?? if not what years had that problem, if there was a problem? I was told there was no way to service them either and they just went for no appearent reason......Just a honnest question and for the record I wasnt bashing tripples in the post rocketman dumped

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The rotax triples pre 1999 where having problems with the far bearing.  

In 2000 or 1999 the modified the engine to correct this problem.  They used a diffrent type of bearing with a higher quality grease and adjusted the oil passages.  I think they bored them out to allow more oil.  They also inlarged the bottom end of the engine and im not sure but i think the inlarged the crank.  They also put a larger water pump.

I have seen triple engines 2000 and up using a good syntetic oil (Amsoil, Castrol) go behond 10000km on there sled.  In my experiance once your sled is at 10000km it is time for a trade.  I know many people with 20000 or 30000km sleds but for me buy the time im at 10000km i got a lot of slack in the steering.  There might be some cracks in the cowl, The clutching is worn.  So its time for a change.

But the 809 rotax triple after 99 or 2000 is very reliable.  

And sled head.  Just for the record I dont expect you to like triples.  I know many people that just dont like the ride offered by a triple.  But I enjoy it very much to the point that if triples were eliminated it would almost be like snowmobiles were banned for me.  i would get over it but everytime you point out that triples are on its way out it really bothers me because im wishing everyday for the dream package 809+ZX.  So when you point it out it makes things look really grim.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I think there would be a lot of people that would buy one.   Didnt the Mach Z in Zx win the poll i made over the REV.

Skidoo should do it.  They hardly need to change anything to do it.  All they got to do is mount the engine and hardware. Route the exhaust, And find a good suspention calibration.  Thats it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I see what you are saying Machzzzz1.....I feel the same way about 2 Strokes period.
 So if rocketman is in the market for a tripple it would be wise to shop for a 99 - current rotax tripple. Or is there a fix for the pre 99 stuff that you know of ??

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The key is the bearing grease.  I forget the name iso somthing grease.  It gets the oil injected on the bearings but if that is ever in short supply like it somtimes is at full throttle the grease it there to protect it.

There was a fix that required you to make the oil passages bigger on the far side bearing but im not sure how that went.

I would go with 2000 809 because of the bigger water pump.  It gives you better cooling.  Plus it has a stronger bottom end.  If i was going to do this project i would want a engine that is going to last and 2000 and up is by far the best triples ever made by do.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Isn't the 809 a case reed motor? That might be a problem. I'll bet they would have to redesign the airbox, coolant tank and oil tank as well. Add to that a new exaughst system and the cost rises. But you guys are right, if you build it they will come!!!! ronzx9.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The 99 809 motor had all the fixes. Mine is wicked fast and accelerates hard. I have the RER reverse. Between myself and Bill Cudney, we have found the Mach Z with RER are just good runners. The number one go fast trick is DO NOT change the ramp!! (for trail/lake riding) Then you can easily tune it however you want. The sleds are just plain quick with the right suspension tuning. Oh and lifting the skis?
??? I have had to let off the throttle many times to keep from flipping it (with no studs on hardpack), so yes it will lift the skis. With my current setup, without studs, I set the skis down on the hardpack snow at 85 to 90. So, it better be lined up straight as you have no steering. This year I'm studding, and tweaking the clutch a tad. I'm also reducing the wieght by 70 lbs. Driver is going from 310lbs to 240. Currently at 275lbs. This should make it even MORE fun to ride!!! Rocketman, just buy a used 99 Mach Z and enjoy! Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts