Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just purchased a 91 Wildcat 700 and have never really played around with these sleds (I am a mechanic unfortunately these don't have diesel engines) :p
I previously owned a 77 Pantera 5000 and a 3500 Citation but never performed any major work.

Anyways, I have a couple of questions. I replaced all the boogie wheel bearings and rear spring slide brackets today and when reinstalling the suspension I noticed that the front bolts that hold in the suspension have two possible locations for them. They were originally on the upper holes and I was curious if I could put them on the lower holes to possibly raise the suspension height? Is this safe to do and will it raise it at all? I have the rear spring adjusted to the max height but feel it still sits a tad low (Suspecting the springs are worn out). About how much track play should I have when pressing down on the track?

Also I haven't done anything to the engine, it runs good, no hesitation or missing but noticed oil around one of the pipes where it enters the muffler. I replaced the springs as they were weak, but still a very small amount of oil is evident. Is this ok? Both pipes feel the same temperature to me when it is running. I think i'm going to do a cylinder compression test tomorrow, whats a good pressure?

Any help would be great!

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey, welcome to the club.

I'm in the exact same position as you. I too just bought a 91 or 92 Wildcat 700 (Can't find the S/N!). I'm not sure about your suspension question, but I did perform a compression test on my machine again yesterday. The first time I only got about 105, I suspected it was the tester, so I borrowed a couple testers and tried again. 130 on both. The important part is that both cyl are the same or very close. It should be between 110-150.

The oil around the muffler could have be caused by the previous owner preparing the sled for storage. Some people pour a lot of oil into the cylinders to prevent corrosion or seizure, it just blew out when you started the engine. That would be my guess.

The engine in the 700 Wildcat is very similar to the engines used in the ZR 700 and Powder Special. All the way up to 2000. Very reliable engines, but from what I've been told the older sleds have problems with the clutch. I've got a post in here somewhere with a lot of info on your sled. Do a search!

Mike

·
0 Posts
Suspention Questions: Installing in the lower hole will only change the attack angle of the track. It could raise the overall height of the sled but will add no extra travel.
If the springs are original then I would replace. Stock part number is 0604-282/ 0604-283. If you need the heavy springs part number is 0604-272/ 0604-273.
Track tension with 20 lbs applied si 3/4" to 1".

Exhaust question. You can replace the gasket on the header pipe with new. When you do this I would apply orange high temperature RTV to the gasket and pipe.(header pipe). Where the exhaust goes into the canister I don't see a gasket so I would apply a bead of RTV to the pipe before you put it in the canister. You should also apply a bead of RTV to the outside of each spring to make them last longer. Run the bead along the length of the spring not around it. The RTV will reduce the vibrations that wear out the springs.

Compression question: 120-130lb is normal. Don't put oil in cylinder before you check, leave them dry and cold. You might also want to re-check after its been warmed up.

Make sure your clutch is in good working order also. The 700 sleds were very hard on clutches and need lots of care. My clutches last about 2500 miles before service is needed. I ride the flat land in Michigan.
Good Luck

·
0 Posts
Spider,
Are you looking on the right side of the tunnel near the spot where your foot rest for the S/N? Do you have the registration for the sled it should be on that too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Rocket,

It's been painted over, and I don't have the registration. We don't worry about that stuff around here, I don't have to worry about insurance either. I just going to assume that it's a 91.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Spider, a '91 Wildcat will look like the '89-'91 ElTigre/EXT's. The '92 Wildcat had the AWS chassis (Prowler style). I can upload a picture of the '92 if you'd like.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Originally posted by 700Rocket@Nov 18 2002, 08:03 AM
Make sure your clutch is in good working order also. The 700 sleds were very hard on clutches and need lots of care. My clutches last about 2500 miles before service is needed. I ride the flat land in Michigan.
What needs to be done after "about 2500 miles"? I have 1700 miles on my 2000 ZR700 and I will be rebuilding the clutch before the start of this season. What parts typically need replacing? Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help!

The clutches were both rebuilt right before I bought the sled, so I should be safe for a while.

I only took the sled for a quick boot on the grass when I bought it. Felt great, despite the short ride. We've got about 4-5" of snow here in Winnipeg, although its supposed to be warm this week, might be all gone. :doh:

·
Registered
4 Posts
gmork before you buy springs make sure you adjust your track it will change the suspension quite a bit,if the track is right move the lower end of your rear swing arm to the rear hole approx 1" back on your skid this will really stiffen things up, you will probably lower your spring blocks.
The oil around the top of your after can ,just pull out the can and check for restrictions (mouse nest) before you RTV it.
The front of your skid belongs in the upper hole and it works the best there the sled is much faster beleive it or not in the upper hole and better in loose conditions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts