Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am considering adding the handlebar mounted quick adjuster for the limiter strap to help me dial in my '01 ZR 800. Have you experienced any problems w/these? I know it's been around for a while. I would hate to shell out $500 or so and then be discouraged with it. I also hate having to stop and get on the ground to adjust the strap.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I have never tried it, but it doesn't sound like it's worth $500! It would be handy, but not for the price IMO besides, it's not that much of a hastle to tighten or loosen it anyway.
There's my $500 opinion. :D

·
Registered
884 Posts
Jim, we have it on a sno-pro we have and it is great! I would like to have one on my ZR, but like you am having a hard time justifying the price. Check with some of the Salvage Yards, you might be able to pick one up, and let me know if you find 2 of them!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I assume your talking about the dial adjust. My 02 800cce is the third AC sled I've had it on. Once you ride with it and get use to adjusting on the fly you'll never go back. It flat out works.
Theres been a couple for sale on e-bay over the last month or so.
I have a spare shock, hoses and adjuster but havn't decided if I'm selling it.
You might want to stay in touch if your interested as I'll know in the next couple or three weeks.
Rick.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Jim, I had one on my 97 zr580 and then transferred it to the zrt, I orks well y ca go from the trail riding scene to the lake and run with the the boys in about two seconds. Also as your wear bars wear you just put a little more ski pressure on. I was thinking about putting it on my zr900 but have not yet decided about if I want to lose it off the zrt. Kevin

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys...

Catrules, I will look around this weekend at the show and let you know what I find and how much.

Rick, please let me know if/when you decide to sell yours.

PH, I understand...that's why I have to find one at the show, CHEAP!

Kevin, that's why I want to get it...quickness of adjusting on the fly.

Jim

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have the quick adjust on both of my ZR's, not worth it. They are a pain to rebuild. I am considering removing it.

newf

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Here's my 2 cents. Yes it works. But it is a pain. One thing I have to comment on is that somebody says its for the limiting strap. No, the dial adjust is the shock. Now there might be one for the strap but this just adjust the amount of oil in the shock. The biggest problem is the seals. Because what you are doing is cramming more oil in the shock and building up more pressure. I am in the process of taking mine off for a rebuild. I'll let you know how much I like or dislike it once I get done rebuilding. Too many zip ties on all that hose. And getting the hose out from next to the gas tank is a pain in the butt. So I would say that if you don't plan on rebuilding them yourself then go for it. Another thing I think helps is that when I'm done riding for the day I release the pressure on the dial. I also don't like to let it sit on the trailer with the rear end compressed with a tie down strap. That just puts more pressure on it and one time it started leaking out a little. I have about 12 turns of freeplay on mine right now. My dealer says that's about the limit and they reccommend a rebuild. Now I would rebuild anyway since I have 1500 miles on the sled. Just my long winded 2 cents.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My wifes ZR2K has one. I was under the impression that is was for the limiter strap. There is definitely a difference in ski pressure when I adjust it. I like it. You just need to keep the threads lubed up.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The major reason so many people have trouble with the dial a just system is that they crank it down further than is required which in turn damages parts. If your sled is set up properly in the first place (suspension adjustments and carbides) it should require no more than one to two turns to give you major bite in the tight stuff. The adjustability is meant to enhance a good set up not make up for a poor one.
The current ACT dial a just does have some reliability issues. On my 02 ZR it was removed and replaced with a Fox from the '99 Sno Pro which has performed flawlessly. If your looking to upgrade to the dial a just don't buy the ACT version look for one off an older LE or Sno Pro. My former sled had 7000 plus trouble free miles on a Fox unit requiring nothing more than normal servicing.
I'll let you know if or when I'm selling my spare one (all Fox), e-mail me your address and what its related to. If I do sell, I'll have an ACT rear clicker for sale at the same time.
Rick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts