Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i was pressing the drive sprockets onto the shaft , they wouldn't both line up with the ppd logos facing up. i had to install one up and one down so that the teeth would line up perfectly. when i took the sled apart, they were both facing up.
i just want to make sure i won't have any wear issues with having them on opposite ways.

this is a pic from before
[attachment=35375:IMG_0303_edited.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there should be an arrow cast into the sides of the drivers to be used as an alignment refrence[/b]

there is, but they come nowhere near lining up. with those arrows, one rode about 1/4 inch ahead of the other

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Are you sure that they where lined up before you took it apart? If they where both facing up before it sounds like you have them backwards.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one is on the same way, one is on backwards.

as long as the teeth line up perfectly, which they do, do you think they will be alright???????

i just don't want to have to take them off again if i don't have to.

how many times can they be taken off/ installed before they start to get loose on the shaft?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have only taken one off once to replace it. Is there any kind of wear angle on the teeth if not I thing it should be fine?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Get new sprockets IMO

I reverse mine this past season

in hindsight I should have spent the $50 and got new ones

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get new sprockets IMO

I reverse mine this past season

in hindsight I should have spent the $50 and got new ones[/b]

i did get new sprockets. i am questioning the installation of the new ones.
when i lined up the marks, they are nowhere near even. so one is the right way and one is on backwards, but they line up perfectly. i just need to know if it's alright to leave them like this.

i also need to know how many times these things can be taken off and installed before they get loose on the shaft.

if you need any more info, just read previous posts.

i appreciate your opinions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are your new sprockets from an Arctic Cat dealer or aftermarket?

The factory replacement sprockets will have timing marks on them which must be aligned. In the Arctic Cat serviced manual the system with only 2 drive sprockets has both timing marks facing away from the chaincase. On systems with 4 drive sprockets 3 of the timing marks face away from the chaincase with the outside (clutch side) driver timing mark facing back towards the chain case.

The only models with the timing marks on opposite sides (facing away from one another) are the diamond drive models with the extrovert drivers (M series).

In the event these are aftermarket drivers there should have been installation instructions.

In any event the number of times you can press them on and off is dependant to the amount of care taken in the process. If you cleaned all the surface rust off the axle and took care to align the driver to eliminate any cutting action during the pressing on or off there should be no issue with removal and replacing. When replacing broken drive axles I have re-used the existing drivers if there was minimal wear.

If you are riding a sled with 150 or more horsepower I would not press them on or off more than twice as big horsepower is very unforgiving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts