Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the sleds out of storage last weekend for a little pre winter tune up. Went to pull the choke and snap! The little plastic piece the metal pin sits in broke. I guess it must have been a little stiff from sitting this summer. I went over to the other sled, both 600 triples (97 & 98 EXT's), and very gingerly tried to operate the choke and SNAP! Now I have two sleds both with the exact same item broke! There has got be a better fix to this problem other than replacing the choke mechanism with another cheap plastic part. Any suggestions? Is there something I can do prior to storing the sleds to prevent this?

I did get both sleds started and they ran great. A little petro down the spark plug hole always does the trick.

Thanks,
Pants

·
10,054 Posts
I always just replaced them with that little cheap plastic piece as I never found another way to fix it. I did carry an extra one with me on trips as a just in caser as I dont care for putting starting fluid into my sled motor.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Puree, is there an easy way to change this out?

·
10,054 Posts
the pin just pulls out of the piece that is still there,,, put the new pull over that plastic lip and insert the pin,,, Its actually pretty easy.
I went through a lot of my old sleds about 5 years ago and basically parted them out. I kept quite a few of the choke levers as most are universal and have been using those,,, I have found that the olders ones (ones off older sleds) seem to be more reliable. Probably built a little better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not the choke lever that broke, I wish it was. It's the plastic part that the choke lever slides over and then the pin slides through one side of the choke lever into the, now broken plastic part, and than into the far side of choke lever. I apologize for my very vague description.

·
10,054 Posts
so its not the lever, its that little pin that the lever fits into,,,, well that part isnt quite as cheap, but it isnt super expensive either. You might be looking at another choke,,, I would keep an eye on ebay as they do tend to come across there and you can pick up the entire choke pretty cheap from time to time,,, good luck
Brian

·
Registered
100 Posts
I went to a machine shop and had the part the lever pulls that pulls the cables machined out of aluminum. that wont break anymore. :tongue:

·
10,054 Posts
I guess I fixed mine in a way also,,, I bought an efi sled. Definetly not a cheap fix, but I love the efi so far (4 years now)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crimson, thats a good idea. I'll check into it, thanks.

Puree - we're definately due for a sled upgrade, but those 600 tiples are still a blast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts