Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my hubby and I have come to a very difficult decision.. After his recent accident we have decided to sell our sleds..
Neither of us really wants to.. but his accident was very bad.. although he is slowly getting better, very slowly.. this experience has changed the way we look at life..

Some of you don't know, but my hubby broke his back on March 3.. we weren't riding extreme or crazy, it was just a freak accident.. On his way to the hospital he died.. they were able to bring him back and we are very fortunate..

We have thought long and hard about this. we LOVE sledding and there is no way if he gets back on a sled that we can stick to the trails and take it easy.. It is not worth him losing his mobility or life..

I will probably check in here cuz, well, its an addiction... but we aren't riding anymore :confused: :(

He is really upset that he can't even golf this year..But I can so he will drive the cart and I can practice..

Anyone interested in 4 good sleds and a 4 place trailer.. riding gear, all new helmets, boots, coats, bibs, gloves etc... $12,000 OBO..

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
WTF?

Accidents happen

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
WTF?

Accidents happen[/b]
:huh: I hope I'm taking your post the wrong way....but if I got hurt that bad I would not think twice about selling my stuff !!! There are more important thing than sledding, like living !!!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Um, FWIW. I was in a nasty motorcycle accident a year ago. Not life threatening, but at the ripe old age of 56 it darn sure layed me up for a while. Was able to ride this past snowmobile season - but carefully. Now getting around pretty good. Last spring/summer/and into fall was spent inside looking out the picture window at the lake out front. No swimming or even getting wet. Boat never made it into the water. Not my style at all, have never been layed up that long before. Anyway, my girlfriend was on the back of the bike when this happened (we were run off the road). She was unhurt (Thank God), but just as affected by the reality of that accident as I was. We're both pretty lucky actually. I'm now very good at predicting bad weather.......

Anyway, we went through a stage where we seriously considered selling off our bike, the quads, the sleds, ......our stuff.

My point to all this: a little at a time we reconsidered our original thoughts of selling our stuff. I've had several other close calls in the not too distant past, in addition to last years little incident (like walking away from a small plane crash after losing a motor out over Lake Michigan). My friends think I'm going to run out of luck soon. But you know what? This "stuff" is my reason to keep going. Not ready to stop 'doing' and start 'watching' yet. Suggest that if you can afford to, you give the sale idea a couple of months, maybe not rush into it...??? -Al

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
from Shawshank... "get busy living or get busy dying"

While I respect and understand your decision I think you may want to take a little more time in your decision. At least until it is economically a better time to sell the sleds.

whatever you decide I wish you and the family the best of luck in your endeveours.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, but htis was a tough decision.. However we bought a boat, and a sports car.. so we wont be watching just settling down a bit..

Yes accidents happen, but living is more important than snowmobiling

·
Registered
593 Posts
:huh: I hope I'm taking your post the wrong way....but if I got hurt that bad I would not think twice about selling my stuff !!! There are more important thing than sledding, like living !!![/b]
If a bad accident will scare you away from something you love, why wait for it. There is a fine line in a crash between living and dying. So why risk it, better get out now just to be safe. There are lots of ways to be safe without dropping the sport completely. Freak accidents happen anywhere no matter what you are doing.

Sorry to hear about the accident.

·
Registered
443 Posts
too bad.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Sorry to hear that your getting out of this sport. But I understand your decision. I'm sure there are other things to do in winter, thats not to hard for him. But the important thing is that your hubby is still with you. So Cherish every minute you have together. snow prowler.

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Wish you and your family the best in whatever you decide, perhaps time will make you reconsider.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Dont you think the boat will be hard on his back?? I honestly think it sounds like the accident spooked you guys or something, but if your quiting due to back pain than you better get a wheel chair cause the boats gonna kill him!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Sorry to hear of your very difficult decision.
I was aware of his accident but not of the fact that he actually died on his way to the hospital.
You cannot imagine my shock and subsequent relief as I read your post. LOL.

I definitely respect your decision which of course is only yours to make.
I do agree with most of the comments above.
What I was thinking as I read your post was, hold off for one year.
We all know how expensive this sport is. You've already invested a ton of money into your sleds, trailer and gear. At $12,000, you're giving it all away. I would suggest you wait until the end of next season. If you feel the same way, then by all means, go ahead and give it away then. (Meaning sell it as cheap as you want then.) However, if next winter you feel differently, you'll still have everything and it'll just be a matter of firing up the sleds and riding. If at that time you need to buy everything again, it'll cost you a fortune. As I said, if you still feel that you want to get out of it, you can always take your losses then. No need to rush into that now.

You live in one of the most beautiful areas of the country.
I know. I've been there. My Son was named after it, remember?
We've all enjoyed the pictures you've posted of your rides.
I find it hard to believe that a family as yours that loves living as much as yours does, and that enjoys nature, beautiful scenery, good times with family and friends, the thrill and exhileration of riding in what most of us only dream about, that you can walk away and stay away from it for good. Come next winter when you see that beautiful white stuff covering the mountains in your front yard, everyone of you, especially your husband, will regret having gotten rid of the gear. Like I said, give it a year and if you still feel the same next spring, then go ahead and move on. Just don't do it in haste now.

BTW, I too have owned two boats in the past, and they do ride rough and that may impact your husbands ability to enjoy it for some time until he heals some more.

Whatever you decide, and it is your decision, I hope you don't have any regrets.

One of your SW family that doesn't want to see you leave.

Jeff

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
A tough decision and a sad one, let's hope it is the right one for you which only you can decide. I live in Florida and recently got back into snowmobiling because life is too short not to do the things you love. Hell, I even bought a new snowmobile that sits in my garage but I love the sport. I own and ride motorcycles too.
As a funeral director you have to live life to the fullest and I see many people who will never get that chance again.
"Do what makes you happy."
Richard
www.settlewilderfuneralhome.com

·
Registered
252 Posts
i have to agree with trailblazer on this one 100%. i to was in a pretty serious snowmobile accident this past december(on 1 of my first rides of the year go figure). i was hurt pretty bad,and i to thought about selling out and walking away.but i did heal and bought myself a new sled and got right back at it. the pain was unbearable at first and i was very nervous on the sled.but by the end of the season i was very happy with my decision to hang onto my gear.the only thing that has changed in my riding is the fact that i have to have very good suspension under me.and that meant upgrading,after purchasing my new sled the pain went away and i can still enjoy this great sport. i am big time into the site seeing along the trails,to me it makes it all worth it.now if i lived where you doo i would never give it up. i guess what i am trying to say is just hang onto your gear for awhile,make real sure its the right decision first. i know i am very glad i hung in there awhile longer. i will say this to replace the gear you have will cost you twice what you are asking.you may not ride this year or even the next 2 or 3 years but year number 4 might be the one to get back out there and enjoy what got you hooked in the first place. either way good luck to both of you,and i'm sure we will all respect your decision whatever that may be.

·
10,054 Posts
Those that know me know that I also was in a pretty serious accident involving my sled. One that has changed my life forever,,,, It was just that though,,, an accident. Accidents happen whether you are on a sled, a motorcycle, a quad, a sports car, a boat, a bicycle, etc.... the list simply goes on and on. In my case, I wasnt going to let my accident take snowmobiling away from me. I ended up getting a new sled and have continued to enjoy riding everytime I get the chance. I fully believe that life could be taken away from us tommorrow and I plan on living every day I have to the fullest. I guess everyone has to make their own decisions and I would respect any decision that you guys decided to make,,, I just encourage you to take some time and think the decision over. Good luck,,,,
Brian

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a construction accident in 2003, fell 20' through a scaffold onto a concrete parking lot. Broke my back and had PCL reconstructions done on my knees, and a few other odds and ends. It took 3 years but I started riding again this year. Even wearing my braces, I'm only able to ride 6-8 hrs. then have to take a break for a day or two, however, I am glad I got back in the saddle again. I just take it easy and don't ride beyond my physical limitations. Maybe with a newer chassis next year sledding won't be so tough on my joints. Hang on to that stuff and take the time to heal up, time heals most wounds...wwracer

·
Registered
258 Posts
lol..im choking back tears as i read this......I agree with everyone but also understand your decision....its tough but whatever you do ...good luck!......life sure can throw us some curve balls.........its just a matter of steeping up to bat..or sitting this one out.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My thought are with you and your family as your husband goes through the recovery and the difficult decisions that need to be made.

All the best

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would most likely do the same thing if I were in your shoes. After 38 continuous seasons of riding, some years with mileage surpassing 7000+ you have to consider fate. I have been fortunate to not incur any serious accidents in that time, nor have I ever hit a tree or totaled a sled. BUT, as time goes on I have often wondered if some other YAHOO is going to be the one to end this streak of mine. (KNOCK ON WOOD)

Good Luck to your husband on his recovery.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts