Snowmobile World banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Skidoo girl, I totally understand where you guys are coming from. I sustained a back injury that required surgery a few years back. It was not as serious as your husbands or wwracer's but it has changed my life in so many ways and left me in constant pain. To be honest I cannot tell you how many times I have thought about selling all of our sleds since then. I have even advertised a couple of times but then pulled the add due to reconsideration.

I cannot ride as aggressive as i did before nor for as long and that is with braces on too. Instead of leading the pack, I am at the back of the pack,lol. I don't regret keeping them at all now that it is almost 4 years after my accident. It took me two years just to be able to pull start that dirty ol 800 on cold mornings. When I fire my gade up after a long hot crappy summer and get a whiff of Amsoil it makes my knees weak...:)

I have plans to buy a new 09 summit 144>>with ES :), I want to give them a year to work any bugs out of the new design. I am thinking that the new lightweight chassis is exactly what I need. It will be easy to dig out and require much less body input to carve.

Sledding is very very dear to my heart but my family and wellbeing is far more important than any ride on any machine. I wish you guys the BEST of luck with all of your future endeavours and as others have said maybe wait till next season and see how you feel then. At the very least you will get better resale $ for your sleds.

Take Care

Jeff >> AKA Permafrost

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Skidoo Girl,

Like Trailblazer mentioned, I too was in Shock reading your first paragraph that your husband actually died. I think I read that sentence 3 times thinking I was reading it wrong, but soon realized what you were saying.. Thank God your husband made it through all that.

I think to actually have known that happend, would be enough to scare me more than I care to know.

I know it's so tough for all of you to make this decision because I know you care about this sport very very deeply. It's a big combination of fear, depression, doubt, and it all just keeps cycling through.

This is why I too would suggest a year to really know that the decision is right for you. I do believe your husband should wait a minimum of 1 year before trying to attempt any motorsport, and therefore in a year the decision would seem more evident and you will know you did what was best.

I wish you the most sincere wishes for everything to work out, and everyone happy.

Good Luck !

Snow4

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
i have a friend that almost died a few years ago after hitting a breakwall on her snowmobile.she refused to give in to giving up her snowmobile and after a year of recovery she was riding again to my surprise.i'm not saying that you should force yourself to ride again but with a positive outlook and some time i hope that you will reconsider. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Fate is the hunter!.be it with snowmobiles, boats, skiis, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, you name it.. I respect your decision but if you look at boating accident statistics?... Well, it's pretty sobering. My wife and I are considering a new boat too.. I figure if I die, I won't have to worry about retirement :)

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
<<<<I figure if I die, I won't have to worry about retirement >>>>

:lol: :lmao:

Okay, maybe I'm a sick puppy.........but I love it!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This has been a relly hard decision... We would NEVER give this up, but we got very lucky this time..What if we aren't so lucky next time... We have discussed this, fought about this and we just have decided to try some new things..

His experience with dying has changed him, (for the better..) He has always been a good husband and father, but he says that now he realizes how fragile this life is..He wants to spent time with our boys and me, and grow old without being to crippled up.
The doctor said he would probably not ride again... we doubted that.. but the healing is not going as smoothly as we would have hoped.. He will heal but it will take at least a year or so..

He does not want to quit riding, but he also knows that he wont be able to not ride aggressive and that is what we love... Who knows, if the sleds don't sell, maybe we will go out again..
we will have to see. thank you for all your input..
But until you have experienced what we did, I don't think you could understand..
I never said I would quit S.W. though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Tough decision.. I respect it though. Some people never quit like Walt Blackadar, famous whitewater kayaker..He did some amazing descents in his time but even when his health and paddling technique started to falter when he was in his early 50's he kept paddling.. He died at age 54, kayaking a relatively simple class 3 rapid.. He was talking about quitting but always wanted to do a few more rivers... One never knows. I think he'd rather have gone out that way then in a nursing home.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
so if you hit a wake and almost drown your going to quit boating

You do realize boating is rougher on the back then sledding

You get hit by lightning golfing you quit golfing

NO need to ride aggressive til you are further recovered

I just think you guys are just spooked

Sorry for sounding harsh but you gotta live life and not let the thought of something beyond your control affect you or not

·
Registered
252 Posts
well put frezer,i'm with ya as usual. all we are trying to tell ya is just hang on to the sleds for a year,nobody said you had to ride them.don't sell so quick,just put them in the trailer and park it out of the way and wait 1 year.if you still feel the way you do now in a year,then by all means sell baby sell.trust us all if you sell right now,and in a year when things are back to normal,you both will 99.9% i'm sure kick yourself really hard and say to each other.(maybe the s.w gang was right we should have kept the sleds)and if you still think you should sell them in a year,then we will let you say the words noone wants to hear.( I TOLD YA SO )but i am sure we will hear a big fat thankyou. just mellow out and relax and wait a year. many of us have been in very similar situations in the past so alot of us know what your both going through. my guess is ya can't be to serious about selling i don't see the sleds advertised on here forsale in the classifieds yet. ya don't have to listen to me but freezer he has the knowledge i know he does lol. but he don't have esp cause i got the cat before he did lol.sorry buddy had to doo it lol.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
skidoogirl, sorry to hear of your decision to leave the sport. I would however suggest maybe waiting a bit before deciding, if for no other reason then to get a better price on selling. While some folks seem to believe you aren't making the right decision only you two can decide whats right for you. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before judging. I can honestly say if we were in that situation I don't know if we would give it up or not.
I wish you well in whatever your decision is and hope we get to hear from you often :)
Be well friends :)

Kim

·
Registered
30 Posts
sorry to hear about the accident.....and all the others posted here....all i know is keep going, get a different sled, one you like to tweak or spruce up.....i cut my leg off dead center in the shin about 15 years ago....was riding an old dog back then.....now i try to put on more than 2000 miles a year....its good therapy for ya....don't quit.....this is my machine now " THE BECOMING BACK" 2004 with 8,000 miles on it.....i for one will never quit

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts