Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I pulled my pipes and cleaned the R.A.V.E.'s.  The sled is a 98 F3 600.  On the PTO RAVE the gileteen (sp?) had moderate build up, but also had hard carbon like chunks on the "cuting" edge and on the rounded sides.  The middle RAVE gileteen had light gressy build up and no hard deposits.  The Mag RAVE was also moderately gressy and had a few hard carbon chunks on the "cuting" edge.

I'm wondering if the hard carbon chunks are a sign the cylinder is jet'ed to fat?  Or is the center one to lean.  Or is it nothing to do with the jet's at all and is just normal??

The jet's are all stock and plugs always look good.

Thanks...

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I wouldnt judge jetting on the condition of the Rave valves.

Look at spark plug to check or if you can piston wash.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My 670 gets the same hard carbon buildup on the "cutting edge" too and I'm not running fat.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Don't worry about a little carbon. This usually has more to do with the type or brand of oil you use. From my experiance non syn oil usually leaves more of a hard black carbon where as the syn oils i've used leaves the valves looking like a gummy sticky mess with little or no carbon "chunks". You may want to clean your valves a little more often as well. I clean my usually once every 500-750 miles. This way even if there is some build up it is very easy to clean off and you don't have to worry about scratchin them up trying to remove hard chunks.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
What type of oil are you running F3600?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was using Injex which was probably my problem.  I have over the summer drained the rest and bought Bombardier non synthetic mineral based oil.  Never pay's to cut corners..

·
Registered
59 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (F3600 @ Sep. 24, 2002, 8:13pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was using Injex which was probably my problem.  I have over the summer drained the rest and bought Bombardier non synthetic mineral based oil.  Never pay's to cut corners..
[/b][/quote]
The bombie oil is verrrrry dirty its self, you should have go after another oil like amsoil synthetic or torco, the big 4 dont make their own oils they buy them from companies like castrol and others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used bombardier non synthetic oil in both of my sleds........NEVER had a problem with my raves.....I swear by it.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I found that the Castrol oil caused a lot of buildup on the valves. I start the season w/ clean valves then was cleaning them after a thousand miles. The valves were pretty crummy.

Hopefully this will be a good season & I'll see how the Amsoil turns out. The first year I ran it, the oil pump was set too rich & there was some buildup. Last year other than my blastoff way up north, I didn't get a lot of long distance riding in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My rave valves were completly gumed up and sticky, that was with the shell synthetic, so
this year I'm going to try standard oil. I know my formula 500 ran clean as a whistle on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts