Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I pulled the motor out of my 97 MXZ440LC this past week, and this is what I found. I believe the R/V Shaft oil seals are leaking due to the fact that there is oil leaking from a small weep hole underneath the waterpump right where the crankcase splits. I couldn't see this small hole till I had the motor out and tipped it to its side.

Now, has anybody had this work performed at a dealer or other shop? I am trying to decide what to do because my local snowmobile shop said that they won't touch it, and I haven't talked to the dealer yet. If anybody has any info about what this repair might cost labor wise it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
mxz440LC, it's about time you got your self a repair manual for you sled.
The r.v seal's can be changed in less then a hour with the engine in the sled. Get a manual and doo it your self, it's a easy job, out of 10 it's a 5.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I had mine done at a shop. All they have to do is split the case and put a new seal in. Its not a big deal, I don't know why your guys won't touch it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would attempt it myself but the reason I have not yet done so is that my local performance shop said you need a degree wheel and I have also heard what you said, "The r.v seal's can be changed in less then a hour with the engine in the sled. Get a manual and doo it your self, it's a easy job, out of 10 it's a 5.". I am going to have to get my hands on a manual, too bad there aren't any FAQ's with all the info on changing the R/V Shaft Seals on the web. As far as manuals go anybody know where I can get one besides Ski-Doo (43.95)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem on my 97 FZ two years ago. At first I thought it was leaking between the case halves, but after splitting the cases twice and using the expensive anaerobic sealer I figured it was the rv shaft seal. So I bought those and put them in -- the leak didn't stop.

Finally I split the cases again and used grey Permatex on the cases halves and got it to stop. I checked for warp on the cases and couldn't find any.

Ever since I did that it hasn't leaked.

Just my experience. !!!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You doo not need a degree wheel, the two seals that have to be changed are at the front of the engine behind the water pump.
1) remove water pump housing.
2) remove water pump impeller
3)you will find a thin washer(remove)
4)first seal is the coolent seal(remove)
5)spacer(remove)
6)second seal oil seal(remove)
7)now put it back together in the same order you took it apart.
Watch what you are dooing , if it will help draw a diagram as you disasemble or a vidio if you have or the best yet a shop manual.
Good Luck and have fun

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice, thats some really helpful info! How about this pic below, that should help me a little. I appreciate the help, and will be ordering the seals this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still looking for a little help, here is where I am currently: I started to take part the Waterpump/RV Shaft seals tonight. I got as far as removing the Impellar and a couple of small washers only to be left with what is called the supporting plate (#26 in the pic above). This part looks to be pressed in and looks like you would need a very very smal puller to get it out. I included a pic below, if anybody has any info please send it. P.S.: It is snowing like crazy outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Went thru my receipts and it cost me $182cdn to have the seals replaced. This was done with the engine in place. The rotary vavle can be removed IF you mark where it was taked off from. What I did was turned one cyl up to TDC, with a black marker drew an outline of the valve on the back of the rotary housing then slid it off its splines. I have the Ski-Doo techical CD-rom here and was just trying to down load some info for you but don't know how, not really computer smart!LOL If you are close to me I could send it to you and you return it. Or see if you can get one from a dealer. Part # 484 0691 00. Its covers EVERYTHING. From racing, shop manuals, parts manuals for all machines. The 1999 version is part # 484 700 023.
We did my seals in machine within 2 hrs. Hardest part will be getting seals in their bore straight( small pipe as a driver.)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I will have to get myself one of those manuals if I plan on replacing those seals myself. You took the hole R/V Shaft ot of th sled and didn't split the case correct? (Meanwhile it snows outside while I am insdie)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You are getting there, the support plate is pressed in it will pop out, the seals are a little tricky to remove, doo not bend the RV shaft when removing seals. Try screwing a small self tapping screw in to the seal, then pull out with a pair of V.G's.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been trying to get that Supporting Plate off, and it doesn't look good. I have not even been able to budge that thing. I even fabricated a custom mini-puller to try and get it out, didn't even phase that thing! Oh well, looks like I will be giving up on the do it yourself thing. I am probably going to take to the dealer. I figure if I order a shop manual and try again I might miss winter. I appreciate everyone's help on this subject you guys were great!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts