Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some of you have seen i have been asking alot about racing lately and want to get started i have got the "ok" from my parental units (mostly my mom) and they want me to find out as much as i can so i know what im gettin in to this is what i know so far..
- the sled will be a 97 zrt 600 with only pipes  will i beable to race that in a class and have a chance or is it all one big class?'
-money? what will i need for registration and stuff?  
anything else that i should know lay it on me i need to know as much as i can

what is required to wear for drag? tek-vest? help me as much as you can if you want to e-mail me with anything

[email protected]

thank you sooo much you dont know how much you guys have helped me latley

·
Registered
47 Posts
i would check out www.wsaracing.com
they have a rule book and links for affiliated curcuits. and you can register online ($100) and on the curcuits around here its $25 per event

most racing events require at least a tekvest and tether cord

·
Registered
229 Posts
Team Arctic, what type of racing are you looking to get into? If your into drag racing, I can help you out in answering questions or give you my opinion. Your ZRT, being it has pipes, would go into the Improved Stock class. It should be competitive if you stick with small races until you gain experience. A helmet, safety vest, over the ankle leather boots, tether cord, and a jack stand with rear and side shields would be the main safety items. Fees vary but usually are $20/per class plus fees for gate admission, insurance, pit passes, etc. (check with the individual race for this info) Rough guess would be $40/race (1 class) plus food, travel, and gate fees, pit fees, etc. for your crew.
Good Luck and keep it fun.  

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the wsa rule book is being updated rightnow and is not avalable i already tried there

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a tek-vest for sale. 125$ you will need this for racing sno-cross or drag'in. Also you have to do a couple things to you sled and then there a couple things that I would recommend doing, These are required for sno-crossing, must have clear tape on the head light and tail light, no more than 98 studs, studs cannot be placed any wider than the rails of you suspension, studs cannot penetrate more than 3/8 of an inch from the tallest part if you lug, and your snow flap must touch the ground when sitting on the sled and be fastened so it cannot be lifted, there are certain limitations on the carbides also, but I don't know them off hand, those are most of the must do's, I would reccommend you buy a mouth piece, hockey shin gaurds, and get your shocks revalved to very stiff.  If your shocks are set up right you will not want to ride this sled in the trail any, more... Just a little of my advice if you have any other questions e-mail me I will be glad to help.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
This is just a small hint that you mignt already know but anyway something alot of drag racers around here do, that is easy but supposed to help is either tape off a ski loop or fill it in with something.  This way you know for sure that your loop registers with the sensor as it goes through. I didn't know this the first time I raced and had to borrow some duck tape from another guy.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i knew that i have "100mph" tape from bm i think or some sled store its just like duck tape but its green

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't want to start a big debate, but money under the hood is wasted until you get the drive line cleaned up. Easy spinning bearings packed with lighter grease, true tracking wheels(only the ones you need) trued drivers, high quality hi-fax, lube system,etc. Anything you do to roll easier and cheat the air will help the most.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts