Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my tra  set on number 6

but I still want a higher engagement rpm

curently have secondary at b4 if I move it to b5 will this help raise engagement ?

or st lest give me some more adjustability on primary

what about the b3

thanks....

·
Registered
417 Posts
The secondary settings have no effect on engagement. Sounds you want a primary spring with a higher start rate to raise engagement, and a higher finish as well, so you can go down on your clickers. Removing pin wieght will have the same effect also. What is your current setup? Which sled?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Always start on clicker#3 for clutching.  Get it setup clutching wise, then you can adjust your clickers for proper rpm's at peak only.   To get a higher engagement, you need to get a spring with a higher start rate, I.E. 200-320, the start would be 200= engagement, the 320= peak rpm's on the top only.  The secondary controls backshifting and is a slave to the primary.  So with the example shown, to raise engagement, go to a 230-320 spring to engage higher but keep the same rpm's at peak.  You can also lower peak rpm's by adding pin weight, or by using a lower finish rate spring.  There are numerous ways to achieve the things with the TRA, that is why it is a great clutch.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I believe your Summits came with a purple/yellow (160/230) primary spring.  You need to go to a green/blue (200/290) spring to raise engagement.

Once you have done this put your secondary on A6 and adjust your clickers so you are pulling 8000 RPM on full shift out.

What altitude are you at?  I can help more if you give me more info.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
First of all why high engagment lower engagment will keep track spin to a min. thus better traction out of the hole and firstplace in the race or the dif between burying the sled in 3ft of powder or climbing on top of the snow and teasing the bodies after they get theirs stock.With the design of the new reed valve motors we don't need the high engagments that you were used to with the olded motors as these build real good power down low.Plus you won't be so hard on belts when driving slow with the family in the trails.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Your secondary clutch has absolutly nothing to do with the engagement. Get a stiffer spring. whats your engagement at anyways?

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
basically,kid rocker says it best.dave should that location you list change to SE michigan? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Setting your clickers will give you better acceleration and speed... Find out the lb's of your stock primary spring and find another with higher starting pressure and similar end pressure. (Example: Say your stock is 160/320 (purple/purple) if you change to a pink/purple (230/320) you will have higher engagement without changing your maximum RPM's) While you have her apart you may want to add some pin weight to be able to bring your clickers down to #3 or lower. (2 grams of extra pin weight is the same as one clicker position) Get solid pins or adjustable ones.

Good Luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts