Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would the effects of running pvc pipes off my mikuni's and out my hood towards the front of the sled do for performance in a sled? would it choke it out? my idea is a ram air system.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
what would the effects of running pvc pipes off my mikuni's and out my hood towards the front of the sled do for performance in a sled? would it choke it out? my idea is a ram air system.[/b]
burn it down, as in melt pistons. you would need proper jetting. the thing is why would you want to?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
burn it down, as in melt pistons. you would need proper jetting. the thing is why would you want to?[/b]
more power out of my stock 340 l/c

·
4,440 Posts
more power out of my stock 340 l/c[/b]
1 , is it worth the noise it will make? 2 , how much power will it give you? 3 , is it worth the hassle, you will have tuning to the conditions? it will not be as forgiving. first one is a given no its not worth any extra noise. the second is easy as well not worth enough to get the noise so ,not much. 3, tuning all the time is not fun, no . dyno the gains and let me know what they are, please. noise is one factor in the seat of your pants feel. seen many who thought the loud pipe was a gain when it actually lost power. but their butt-o-meter said it had gained. the ram air part, well are any of us going fast enough to actually ram the air in? I don't think my 700 is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Actually this is a very good question, one that I myself have pondered since buying my
1975 340 Merc SnoTwister. This sled has factory ram air in the form of an unusual convoluted airbox with an opening that faces forward and collects cold air from in front of the engine. I have not run the sled yet, but I suppose it is somewhat louder than todays sleds. If there is continued
interest in this thread, I can post a picture of the airbox.

I have wondered if it would be of any advantage to construct a similar airbox for my
92 Wildcat project sled. Anyone with real world experience with sled ram-air? Any
former Merc wrenches or designers?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually this is a very good question, one that I myself have pondered since buying my
1975 340 Merc SnoTwister. This sled has factory ram air in the form of an unusual convoluted airbox with an opening that faces forward and collects cold air from in front of the engine. I have not run the sled yet, but I suppose it is somewhat louder than todays sleds. If there is continued
interest in this thread, I can post a picture of the airbox.

I have wondered if it would be of any advantage to construct a similar airbox for my
92 Wildcat project sled. Anyone with real world experience with sled ram-air? Any
former Merc wrenches or designers?[/b]
ya post some pics id like to take a look at it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
[attachment=39792:DSC_6449a.jpg]Here is the picture of my 1975 Merc SnoTwister intake. The snorkel wraps around the engine and takes cold air from along side it. There is no baffeling in the box.

Attachments

·
4,440 Posts
[attachment=39792:DSC_6449a.jpg]Here is the picture of my 1975 Merc SnoTwister intake. The snorkel wraps around the engine and takes cold air from along side it. There is no baffeling in the box.[/b]
very similar to the air box on formula sleds. its not ram air it only induces cold air to the system rather than have warm air. to actually ram the air in it would have to be sticking above the hoodline to get the ramming effect. I suspect it would have to be about 4-6 inches up. the air is moving around the hood from the aerodynamics and would not be close to the hood to get rammed in. I hope I said it so you could understand better. :confused: maybe not p.s. I know the mercs my dad used to race them in sno-pro. that was the family brand back in the day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts