Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone walk me through the procedure on a 01 MXZ 800?
Include what the hell is up with the tiny little seals inside the rubber around that plastic cap you have to unscrew to get the bellows out of the assembly. And also tell me where the O ring rides and what its suppose to do, does it go in a slot, hole anywhere or just float around on the shaft of the bellows. Also which way does the gasket go? With the bumped up center areas in towards the engine or out toward the assembly. Thanks

·
Registered
900 Posts
Start with the written article in the SW Tech Bench Area at the top of the page then if you still have q's ask away..Steve

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That helped a bit, heres the deal: whats up with the tiny seals inside the rubber? I believe they are for the extra oil seepage into the cap, they didnt have these on the 99 MXZs. Next how vital is it to replace the O rings and what size do I get if not going to a Ski Doo dealer?
Tell me about the raised areas on the gaskets: towards engine or away?

·
Registered
900 Posts
My 98's rave's are slightly different according to your description, but there are lots of ppl in here that can give you that info..just hang in there a bit..Steve

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh come on.
Somebody has to know about the little white seals that seem impossible to reinstall.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not sure the O-rings do much, but I put in new ones every time I clean them(they're cheap).
If it matters my '02 600 doesnt even have them. As far as the gasket goes, I'm not sure I know what your saying ,but the holes in the gasket must line up with the holes in the valve and cylinder. hope this helps :D

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Mxzonly im not quite sure what seals you are talking about? The white silicone type stuff is
Molykote 111 and is put there from the factory to help seal it. There are two round springs small one for the bottom and the larger one for the top to hold the exhaust valve in. I didnt use the molykote 111 on mine when i reassembled as its almost 40 bucks. I just picked it all out.
Just slide the o ring on to the end of the shaft. I was under the impression that the gasket is idiot proof. Put it on anyway up down in or out. Just make sure to use proper torque specs. Hope this helps.

RAVE VALVE Schematic

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
If you need more info on the raves check out snowmobile online @ offroad.com . In the tech section they show how to clean the raves and build a storage compartment in the front of the MX Z's. As far as the gaskets they are idiot proof. It doesn't matter if they are on one way or another but i think you can't put them upside down. Nothing will line up. I haven't had mine out since the spring but it's really simple. Mine didn't have o-rings for sealing the shaft though. Mine, a 2002 MX Z 600, uses actual seals. If you are replacing those make sure you install them the right way. I don't replace my seals or gaskets every time I clean them. They are very durable but i do carry spares in case of an emergency. A little tip if you are doing it for the first time is to only take one apart at a time. That way if you do have a problem you can use your other one for a reference. You may want to use a poloroid camera as well. Take some pictures up close as you take them off and apart and then if need be you can use the pic's for reference when you put it back together. Hope this helps. If your still confused let me know. SWRules

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats alot better guys!!
Thanks!!!
Im not too worried at all now.
This makes my second time but its been a couple years since I did my 99 MXZ 600 and they were a bit different.
Im glad you cleared up the deal with those white seals, mine came out perfect without any picking and I just wanted to make sure I didnt have to put them back in.
I didnt even need to clean anything that was the worst part of it all, the PTO side had zero carbon and the MAG side only had a very tiny bit. Thats after 2700 miles on the cheap Ski Doo oil.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Hey not a problem. That's why we're here. To give advise and to ask when we don't know. It surprised me as well with how little carbon was on my raves when I used Bombi oil.

·
Registered
154 Posts
MXZonly, I m sure you will find that the members of this board will help you more and hassle you less than most of the other boards out there. This is what I have found out to be fact even though alot of the members are regulars on those boards as well, there is alot less bashing here and more substance to the answers.

My hat is off to those that know the answers and are willing to share their expertiece. It only helps grow this sport. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: SWRules

1 - 12 of 12 Posts