Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be best to use as the wooden base for my seat? Green treated plywood? Something else? Mine is pretty bad right now

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If the base is Flat use a piece of thicker plastic it will out last the sled even in the wetest conditions.Also I believe it might be lighter then wood of the same thickness.Another option is spend a bit more jing and get a BOSS seat much lighter then stock.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where do you get BOSS seats?? I've been looking all over!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sounds like you're rebuilding a rather old seat as wood bases went out quite a few years ago, at least on Polaris. I've always replaced seats with dealer "take-offs" or else just bought the part of the seat I needed. The idea of pressure treated plywood sounds good. However, I'm not sure if it is available that thin and, more importantly, I wonder whether it will react with the aluminum beneath it. That is a moisture trap afterall, the reason the original needs replacing. And assuming your rig is quite a few years old, would not another piece of plywood of the original type most likely last the remaining life of your machine?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Rocketman,

If your going to use wood, go to a marine dealer, and get a piece of marine grade plywood.  It will never rot out on you, although its kinda expensive, you won't need all that much.

FishHog

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks PH....I now know that a BOSS seat is WAY WAY WAY out of my price range.....

now...when you guys are saying a plastic base...what exactly is it? My sled is of 1997 vintage, so we obviously didn't have the technology yet

1 - 10 of 10 Posts