Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got the rear suspension out OK by turning the machine on its side. I replaced some idler wheels and the slides. Things were going well, but I have hit a wall. I tried to reinstall the rear suspension and it's not going too well...turned it on its side, installed one of the front bolts, turned it on the other side, installed the other bolt, and now I can't seem to get the rear axel lined up. I even tried loosening the spring tension. Should I tighten the spring tension? I'm still new to this, and wondering if there is there some kind of trick to getting the rear axel to line up? Right now it's about an inch and a half off and too far to the rear of the machine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, I got the rear suspension out OK by turning the machine on its side. I replaced some idler wheels and the slides. Things were going well, but I have hit a wall. I tried to reinstall the rear suspension and it's not going too well...turned it on its side, installed one of the front bolts, turned it on the other side, installed the other bolt, and now I can't seem to get the rear axel lined up. I even tried loosening the spring tension. Should I tighten the spring tension? I'm still new to this, and wondering if there is there some kind of trick to getting the rear axel to line up? Right now it's about an inch and a half off and too far to the rear of the machine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.[/b]
There are several methods that work. My method is to connect a come-along to an appropriate
point on the suspension and the innermost part of the front suspension, snug it up, then work the arm of the come-along to move the suspension to line up with the holes, one side at a time.
Works better with 2 people, but I have done it alone several times. Other people say to un-spring the suspension, put in the bolts, then spring it again. I tried that method but couldn't do it. My personal opinion is my way is easier, but maybe not as 'proper.'

·
Registered
293 Posts
Make sure track adjustments are backed all the way off, You might find it easier to use a ratchet strap on the back axle and compress it a bit usually only need about 1/4 inch if that.....Have done this lots of times .......

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
use a ratchet strap hooked to the rear axle up and over the arm you are trying to bolt in with other hook connected to some point closer to the front of the skidframe. then tighten the strap until the rear arm you want to bolt in compresses to the point where it lines up for you. if you don't have a ratchet strap then unhook where the rear springs connect to the slide rail and the arm will collapse to where you want it to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great suggestions. It's nice to know that I'm not going crazy and that the manual is a little light on the details on this procedure.

Thanks again for the help!

Mark.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used this article for a good basic setup with my polaris

http://snowmobile.off-road.com/snowmobile/...e/detail/195509

Enlarge the picture to get a detailed view[/b]
That was a great article. I got everything back in last night by the light of the halogen moon and with the help of a trusty ratchet strap. My new best friend...

Read the article above after, and guess I should have put some Lock-Tite on the bolts before I got it all together, right? Will they be OK without Lock-Tite?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would definatly put the loctite on. It wont be as bad now that you have all four bolts back in, just take them out 1 at a time and put the loctite on. The holes should still be pretty close to lined up this way. Keep in mind that whole suspension under your tail end is only held on by those four bolts and the damage it could create when one gets loose isnt worth the risk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts