Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of a stupid question, but I'd like to know if it's possible to re-use piston rings? Got a spare motor. Has maybe 50 km on the rebuild. One piston blew due to improper carb issues. I was wondering..... if I bottle brushed the jugs, could I re-use those rings on a new piston? There was no damage to the cylinder wall at all, it's still as smooth as a baby's butt. So the rings are probably unscathed. Will the old rings re-seat in the bottle brushed jugs?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The main issue is the heat generated if your failure was lean related. If the "carb issue" was over rich gas wash then the ring can be re used.

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Honestly, for the cost of a set of rings I wouldn't bother. Usually pistons and rings come as a set anyways.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Honestly, for the cost of a set of rings I wouldn't bother. Usually pistons and rings come as a set anyways.[/b]
Thats what I was thinking. :cool:

·
Registered
980 Posts
If you put a fresh crosshatch on the cylinder walls then you should use new rings to get proper seating. The old rings were seated to the old cylinder surface and for the rings to get the best possible seal new rings should be installed with a fresh crosshatch ( deglaze, or resurface, which ever terminology you prefer) in order to properly seat, and for best results. You need new circlips and a piston kit comes with new circlips and rings, so no need to buy them separately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts