Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had problems with my Zl's oil use.....of is it fuel....found these in my plug caddy these had about 200 miles on them.

What's it look like ?

·
10,054 Posts
is that aluminum on the plug in the bottom picture on the right?? are the 2 pictures of the same plugs?? Maybe my computer isnt showing the pics good,,, it almost looks like the 2 pics are of different sets of plugs.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Yeah I'm not sure what to say except there is nothing good going on with those plugs. I'm doubtful that the problem is just oil consumption, unless it's more than 20:1. I have run the EXT Special (unintentionally) at 24:1 for several trips and my plugs didn't look nearly that charred. Maybe if you're using cheap oil that could make it worse, I was using Interceptor. The carbs were also set up slightly rich for my altitude as well, still not that black. And yes, it does look like flecks of aluminum in there. It could be a trick of the flash, but it stood out at me right away. I hate to sound the alarm, but I would at least do a compression test. I don't see how an EFI sled with full compression could ever have plugs that black. Unless they are the wrong plugs for your model. You might want to check that too. One of your sensors in the EFI system could also be bad. Check the trouble codes in the computer.

·
10,054 Posts
I believe the oil pump on this sled is not ran through the efi system. It should be hooked directly to the throttle cable and the more you pull it the more oil you get. Its based on your cable set up.
You could have something pretty easy like the throttle cable running to the oil pump is pulled somewhere and your throwing in too much oil that way. Have you put handlebar risors on the sled?? Could also be a faulty oil pump.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks like you need to make an oil pump adjustment. Every one ive owned needed to be turned down. Pig rich from the factory. First you need to find out your ratio. Try to get it as close to 50 / 1 as you can. If you want to check, follow the cable down to the pump. With the throttle pinned open, there is a hash mark on the pump arm and pump housing that should line up. This will give you a starting point when it comes time to adjust. I usually ended up about an 1/16 to 1/8 shy of lining the marks up to get it where it needed to be. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
This is the oil pump to a ZR 580, most cats are similar.. you can see the lines on the pump arm and on the pump body. Make sure the line on the arm aligns with the body and you should be good to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pic's are of the same plug's.....nothing shiny it just a trick from the flash. Compression is fine.

I do use WAY to much oil. Never figured ratio last year. This is causeing all kinds of issue's for my APV's. cleaning every 100 miles, there stuck at 200 miles.

I have ran Amsoil injector oil and the interceptor......Cat APV oil.....Ski-doo power valve formual.....Klots synetic sled oil.....NOTHING HELP'S. I would say I used 6-8 GALLONS last year in like 1000 mile's.....might have used more,had to buy at a few gas station's as well.

I don't think I have ever seen a sled smoke this much.....as far as the oil pump,it linkage driven off the t-body shaft. The handel bar's have never been off. I did check the oil pump setting's last year and the WOT mark was on.

Some one said it could be a sensor.......How do I pull code's,I know where the SES light is(back of ECU) I know it's not on though...checked that last year.

I will say I'm a hard rider,I seem to run this thing hard,I spent most of the time hard on the gas.....and most of the time the trail's arn't groomed so the snow is loose and the sled is boggy.

How should I procead..........

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oil cunsumpsion. You said you use a ton of oil. Power valves gummed up after only 200 miles. I dont think a sensor will have anything to do with that. The hash marks arnt gossiple and i always ended up a 1/16 to an 1/8th before they lined up just to get close to 50 to 1 ratio. Also, the better quality the oil (thinner, full syn, colder pour point) the faster it will run through the pump. Just need to figure out the ratio and adjust accordingly. :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok.....every one was telling me to make sure and run oil with the lowest pour point I could. The Amsoil Interceptor(what the dealer suggusted) is VERY thin,kinda like water.

So what I need to do is adj the oil pump to the brand of oil I'm going to use. That way the pump is set to the oil.....RIGHT ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Youve got it. Sounds just like youve got a thirsty pump. I had one so bad that i had to bend the cable bracket down to get it where it needed to be. Ran out of adjustment. On the linkage style,if it happens to pop off the pump, I think they go to full open. Worth a look.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know. When i said linkage style. I ment pump arm linkage. Part#7 in the pic. Not cable. I would only go one turn at a time and re-check. Lengthening the rod will lean your oil down.

Attachments

·
10,054 Posts
My thought right now is you have something faulty going on inside the oil pump. I know that the pump is driven off the t-body, but your throttle cable is the on off switch for the pump (easy way to understand it).
Start with the simple stuff, make sure you dont have a faulty cable, or bent rod,,,, check ebay daily for an oil pump. You may hit one pretty cheap. If you get one cheap, jump on it and swap them. Could solve the problem,,, keep us updated on what you find

·
Registered
99 Posts
A few years back I had the same problem with one of my T-cats. I found out that when your oil pump fails it is usually in the open position and lets a ton of oil through no matter how you adjust it. Replacment might be necessary.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've bought a few and usually for 30-60 dollars. Thats a bargain because a new one from cat is 400 dollars. That's why I bought spares when I saw them on Ebay.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will diffrent sled oil pum's work....like ZR
What about diffrent size engines....500,700
Is there a year range I need to look at, from ? to ?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I cross referenced your oil pump and found it's a direct replacement for the models below. Not sure if one from any other engine might work:
Arctic Cat 2001 (S2001MCDEFUSB) (Mountain Cat 600 EFI) - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2001 (S2001ZLDEFUSB) (ZL 600 EFI) - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2001 (S2001ZRDEFUSG) (ZR 600 EFI) - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2001 LE (S2001ZRDLEUSB) (ZR 600 EFI) - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2001 International (S2001MCDEFOSB) (Mountain Cat 600 EFI) - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2001 International (S2001ZRDELOSB) (ZR 600 EFI) - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2001 LE Black (S2001MCDELUSB) (Mountain Cat 600 EFI) - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2001 LE Green (S2001MCDLEUSG) (Mountain Cat 600 EFI) - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2001 esr (S2001ZLDERUST) (ZL 600 EFI) - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2002 Mountain Cat 600 EFI - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2002 Pantera 600 EFI - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2002 ZL 600 EFI - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2002 ZR600 EFI - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2002 ZR 600 EFI CC - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat ZL 600 EFI SS - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2003 Mountain Cat 600 EFI - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2003 Pantera 600 EFI - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2003 ZL 600 EFI - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2003 ZL 600 EFI SS - OIL PUMP on-line parts
Arctic Cat 2004 Mountain Cat 600 EFI - OIL PUMP on-line parts