Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is looking to upgrade his suspension. He is currently riding a stock 98 zrt 600. We were wondering if a zr rear skid would work in the zrt. And if it would what would be a ball park price for the skid. Would putting a different rear skid change or hinder the performance of the front suspension? Any info would be appreciated. thanks G

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
My brother is looking to upgrade his suspension. He is currently riding a stock 98 zrt 600. We were wondering if a zr rear skid would work in the zrt. And if it would what would be a ball park price for the skid. Would putting a different rear skid change or hinder the performance of the front suspension? Any info would be appreciated. thanks G[/b]
they are both the same skid just the zr has better shocks. it may be cheaper to just buy some used shocks for it. ZR shocks are rebuildilbe, ZRT i dont think are and if they are have them rebuilt and maybe put in new torsion springs also.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
My brother is looking to upgrade his suspension. He is currently riding a stock 98 zrt 600. We were wondering if a zr rear skid would work in the zrt. And if it would what would be a ball park price for the skid. Would putting a different rear skid change or hinder the performance of the front suspension? Any info would be appreciated. thanks G[/b]
Depends on what year ZR you're talking about. Anything from 97 to 02 should work though.

What is he looking for though? A ZR skid won't really improve the ride on groomed trails. And be careful about the shape the skid is in. You should have the shocks redone for sure, and if they haven't been done in a long time that can get costly, replacing shafts and other various parts.

·
10,054 Posts
shocks in my zrt are rebuildable and as far as I know, the skids are the same. the only difference between the zr and the zrt was the triple motor in the zrt.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We rode some real BAD trails last year and he was hoping the zr skid would give him more travel and better ride quality in the rough stuff. He was nearly cripple after the ride by constant bottoming. I told him even if he did find one he would have to have shocks rebuilt and probably new springs but he still want the zr skid. Oh well his money not mine thanks for the replies...g

·
10,054 Posts
As Newfie said, rebuild the shocks in the zrt shocks and I would say throw in the new springs,,, You are going to bottom out some of the time,,, but as often as you say your bottoming out, I would say your shocks and springs are shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts