Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 & 03 800 RMKs. I want to keep the clutches in good shape to avoid crank issues.

my questions:

1. What tools do I need?

2. Where to get quality tools?

3. What to rebuild? I have read just to replace the spring in the primary and secondary and clean well and don't worry about the rest. Is that true?

4. I plan on having it balanced. Anything else?

Thank you everyone.......I just want to take care of them myself. I do not live close to town and I actually have 4 sleds (others: 98 600XC & 2000 700 RMK).

Joemt

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
You'll likely want to replace the bushings in your weights too. Cheap, the tool from SLP is like 7.00 (used to easily/quickly push the bushings in/out using a vice), and the bushings (3) are somthing like 2.00 apiece.

After replacing an 800 crank, highly recommend balancing.......

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
How many miles on the clutches? You may be able to get away with a good cleaning and looking at the rest for wear. Take the cover off the clutch (careful, that spring is under pressure) and clean things up first. Then check the movable sheave; does it move easily? look at all the rollers on the spider assembly. Are they excessively worn or pitted? Look at the pucks on the spider, are they almost gone? How are the weights? Do they have any bad spots on the back side? do they move freely? Do they have a lot of play (bushing wear)?

If your weight bushings are worn, you can replace the weights without any special tools. Some weight bushings can be replaced, others do not have replacable bushings. If the main bushing is worn or if the rollers are worn, you need to disassemble the clutch. To do that, you need a clutch holder, a spider nut removal socket, and a spider removal tool. There are many places to pick up these items, such as SLP and Dennis Kirk. You may have to use GREAT force to remove the spider nut, it is on there with a LOT of torque and Loctite. That clutch holder has to be fastened to something VERY substantial!!

A clutch press is nice as well, but not totally necessary. A manual that tells you what to do is also a good idea, the Polaris Deep Snow Service Manual for 2002 has a really good section on clutches with LOTS of good pics.

If I had two clutches that had bad bushings, I would find a shop and have 'em do it. The cost of the tools is pretty high for doing two clutches every other year or so... But on the other hand, it's nice to have tools ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sleds have about 2000 miles give or take. How often should the clutches be rebuilt? I have been told it pays to change the spring every year. Is this true and if so does it take all the tools listed below.

If I just wanted to replace the clutch spring (how often for this?) and clean the clutch would I still need the following tools:

clutch holder (primary) , a spider nut removal socket (primary), and a spider removal tool (primary) and possibly a clutch press (for the secondary).

I have the 2003 service manual.

I just want to be able to maintain my own clutches and I'm not sure what it takes to do that. Are they so portions to do and let a shop handle the rest?

I have the clutch handbooks on their way.

This is alittle confusing from the stand point of what's worth doing your self and whats not.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I think the springs are a good idea, not because of milage, but time. At 2000 miles, the weight bushings MIGHT be worn. Worth checking because it's so easy with the spring out. I would not expect significant wear anywhere else. No special tools necessary unless you needed to replace parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts