Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear shocks on my 00zr500 need to be rebuilt.  I was wondering how hard it is to do myself?  Are there any specialty tools I would need?  My other question is what is a normal price for rebuilding shocks?

·
Registered
131 Posts
your better off having someone who is set up to build shocks do it, unless you want to spend the $600 to get all the tools to do it.thats about what it cost me to get set up.if you want to know how buy a cat performance manual it will tell you all you need to know.

·
Registered
93 Posts
mk2g60

Hey, would you please send me all the info on parts and any other items to rebuild ACT shocks. My bud and I are sick of paying the big bucks for this when we know we can do it. What I need is the parts name and  part numbers if you have it. Don't I need nitrogen as well. Email  me please. Really appreciate it.

[email protected]

·
Registered
131 Posts
you can get everything oem but unless you can get it at cost i wouldn't bother.just go to carverperformance.com you can get everything through them or HPE has most of the tools and some seal kits.i would go with the syn-tech blue seals, thats what i use and have had good luck with.you can get gas at your local welding supply shop they have several different size bottles depending how much $ you want to front.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I would suggest taking them to someone who knows how also.  I had my FOX shocks recharged and valved to my specs for around $200 or just under I believe.  Made a big difference in ride when set up to my weight and riding style over stock setup for shocks!

Last edited by phazerhater at Sep. 09, 2002, 10:29pm

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phazerhater your not to far from me were did you take yours to.  My local dealer charges $30 a shock if removed from the skid but I don't think there real good with shocks.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I took mine to my local dealer, Forks Equipment here in Grand Forks.  I can get a number for you if you want to call and get a quote or something.

·
Registered
131 Posts
just make sure your getting a complete rebuild for that $.sounds like just an oil change.i've cought dealers before doing that, but you can't tell unless you tear the shock down so most people have no idea.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I rebuilt them myself every year since 96.  If you have enough sleds or the money it is worth it.  You need a nitrogen tank, regulator, the needle filler to charge the shock, floating piston height tool, micrometer, shock holding blocks, some parts cleaner and shock oil.  Very easy to do and a must every year.  Any artic cat service manual walks you through it.   The procedure for all cats is the same except for the floating piston height.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Phazerhater that would be great if you could get me that number.  I would like the idea of having them valved to my size and style.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (zr500 @ Sep. 10, 2002, 8:56pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Phazerhater that would be great if you could get me that number.  I would like the idea of having them valved to my size and style.[/b][/quote]
Here ya go,

Forks Equipment
5101 GATEWAY DR
GRAND FORKS, ND 58203
Phone: 701-746-4436

When you call, ask them to patch you directly to a mechanic.  They will give you a better price than talking to the people at the front.  

1 - 12 of 12 Posts