Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I take my shocks and rear skid to my buddies work to rebuild them. We start taking the skid apart to get the shocks out and I notice something that doesn't look too good. I'm alittle pissed. The front shocks endcap is destroyed. The one in the front of the skid. It looks to me like they put this cheap little rubber bushing in there and it couldn't take the twisting. So that rubber wore through and caused slop in their, thus causeing the end cap to get out of round and beat to hell. Why the heck did Cat use such a cheap bushing in there. This thing only has 1500 miles on it. So now I have to order a new cap. On another note. The rest of the shock rebuilding went great. No issues. My friend suggested we do them a little different than the manual said. It was a ton easier and they seem great. Really smooth. One other bad thing that I didn't like was the crossbar that the front skid shock is attached to is pretty beat up also. It has wear marks in it from the lugs on the inside of the track. Not good. Little dissapointed in this. Anybody else notice any of this? :devil:

Last edited by Snow Monkey at Oct 21 2002, 04:21 PM

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
RF, I know there were bushing issues w/the SS models. There was a certain build date...sleds before that date had the weaker bushings, ones after that date had different bushings. I guess the same thing could have happened to the CC models too.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Let me sum it up with one word......warranty. How are the bearings in the wheels? Most of mine 2300 miles and a buddys at 500 miles are either seized or rough. Both of our dealers have covered them-no problem.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I had to call the dealer back and its not the normal dealer that I go to and bought the sled from so I think I will talk to my dealer. Because Lebarons told me that I would have to bring in the entire sled for warrenty. I said forget that. All my wheels seemed pretty good. I was surprised. Non of them seem frozen or loose or rough. Hopefully they hold up. The guy at Lebarons' did tell me that there was un updated part number on the bushing. SO luckily its only a 45 dollar part. All I have to say is it better be a better bushing. The one that was in there looks like a piece of rubber hose. They should have known that wouldn't work. None of the others are like that.. I am definetly gonna keep an eye on the wheels, and talk to my dealer.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have had the same problem with my ZR as well as a Sno Pro. I have since modified those suspensions. I added a 1/4" of Aluminum to both the inside and outside of each of the slide Rails where the hole is, by welding a piece in. Then I got rid of the Aluminum Cross Shaft and went to a steel shaft. I had to have those made because they needed to be shorter than the original because of the extra material I added to the rails. Then I had 2 steel sleaves made to slide over the part of the cross shaft that is not covered by the shock. The only problem I have had is now instead of breaking the shock or the cross shaft, we are breaking the bolts off. I hope that I now have that problem fixed though. IMO it is a very weak design. They had a lot of aluminum in there that should have been replaced with steel for more strength.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not really having a problem with the shaft. Its basically just the end cap eyelet. The shaft is just a little worn on the outside where the lugs are rubbing on it. I don't believe the bolt that runs through the center is bent or anything. But that is good to know also. Just had to vent a little. :hallo4:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update, Well getting more upset. Just called the dealer I ordered the part form two weeks ago. :devil: And he says its not in yet. :devil: Then I ask if he knows whether it is backordered or not. Guess what. Sure is. and No idea when its gonna come in. Good thing I didn't wait till the last min to do this stuff. :hallo5: :cussing:

·
Registered
78 Posts
:hallo6: I took all of my shocks out to have them rebuilt and found the same thing. Went to my dealer (who I work for part time) and showed him the oblong shock eyelet. We looked the part up and he ordered it. A/C said that that part was discontinued and replaced with part umteblah and it was on back order. Well I will not wait for another part to come in so that it can be the same old poor quality crap we always seem to get. I am going to bore out the eye on the shock and turn down a UHMW bushing on my lathe to fit the cross shaft and the shock .This will be a thicker bushing made out of the proper material for the application rather than the thin plastic/rubber whatever kinda crap A/C used. !!!

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
Backordering is a fact of life in snowmobiling... Its one of those things you cant get passed and most of the time it doesnt come in to the day before it snows and your out there trying to fool with it and your getting ticked... Most manufacturers have so much conifidence in there product that they think its bulletproof...

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by SNOWBLOWN@Oct 31 2002, 06:58 PM
:hallo6: I took all of my shocks out to have them rebuilt and found the same thing. Went to my dealer (who I work for part time) and showed him the oblong shock eyelet. We looked the part up and he ordered it. A/C said that that part was discontinued and replaced with part umteblah and it was on back order. Well I will not wait for another part to come in so that it can be the same old poor quality crap we always seem to get. I am going to bore out the eye on the shock and turn down a UHMW bushing on my lathe to fit the cross shaft and the shock .This will be a thicker bushing made out of the proper material for the application rather than the thin plastic/rubber whatever kinda crap A/C used. !!!
Mine is way too oblong to bore out. It is all messed up. I am waiting to see what that new part looks like, IT should just be a new bushing, that's how it all started anyway. I was wondering when someone else was gonna tell me that they had the same problem. If the bushing is still crap, I already have the material to mill out a new one. I hope its more like the rest of the bushings on the other shocks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Same machine same problem. I have 2000 miles on mine but mine is problibly not as bad as yours. :cussing:
Oh well gives me something to complain about. :blahblah:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know, it sucks. I'm just glad I cought it now and not while the white stuff is on the ground.

·
Registered
78 Posts
!!! Talked to a buddy who has an 800 cce and his front bushing is wore out as well. Being that the bushing is so poorly enginered, and the fact that the part number for the shock end has been discontinued and replaced with another part, can only leave me to believe that this will be another typical world class smoke screen put up for all of the people who will not be looking at their machines and letting all of the warranties run out and letting people pay for the fix to a problem which poor engineering caused in the first place. :cussing:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by SNOWBLOWN@Nov 3 2002, 06:20 PM
!!! Talked to a buddy who has an 800 cce and his front bushing is wore out as well. Being that the bushing is so poorly enginered, and the fact that the part number for the shock end has been discontinued and replaced with another part, can only leave me to believe that this will be another typical world class smoke screen put up for all of the people who will not be looking at their machines and letting all of the warranties run out and letting people pay for the fix to a problem which poor engineering caused in the first place. :cussing:
Yeah I here ya. I don't even really care if I can get the warrenty. Its a 40 dollar part. I mean I suppose that I could have just taken it in to get a rebuild and then they would have noticed it but you really don't see it, unless you are looking for it. So since I am doing the rebuilds myself??????????? I already asked the dealer down here to warrenty and they said you'll have to bring it in. I said , no problem, I'll bring the old cap in when I pick up the new one. He said no, The WHOLE sled! :devil: :cussing: . I told him forget it. I'll be up north at Lewiston around thanksgiving. That's where I bought it. So I will talk to Mark or Ed and see if they will warrenty it for me.
Yes, That bushing is a total piece of crap. :cussing: Way bad engineering on that one.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The latest. I finally get to pick up my end cap. It came in. but... The service guy tells me he forgot to order the new bushing. So I was gonna have him order a new one but asked him to make sure it had been updated. He checked and said no. SO I told him to forget it. I'm gonna mill one here at work out of some plastic bushing material my shock buddy gave me. This is getting to be a pain. Oh well. Can't wait for snow.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
That bushing was shot on my coworker's 1-year-old shock, too. He made his own new one from UHMW polyethylene. We'll see how that one holds up. Should be better than the nylon-or-whatever OEM one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You may want to address the lower shock mount cross shaft as well. This might be part of the problem if this shaft is flexing, once you get a little movement(slop) things start wearing fast. This was not uncommon on older ETT ZR's as well that have a single mounting point for the front shock. The 98's were also prone to breaking the bolts as well. I fixed mine by adding the dual mounting point from the 99 and 00 zr's.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I may have to look into that Jeff. I really don't think the bar is flexing though. The bolt looks good and so does the shaft. It's just the bushing thats crap. Is anybody else getting the wear on the shaft though from the track drive lugs?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts