Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep checking Cat's site to see if they put anything on there about the 800 piston recall, that would seem like the right thing to do. Nothing posted yet. However, they do have a recall on ATVs, in case you're interested. Do the other makes post recall info on their sites??

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I don't know what you mean by "ignore". The manufacturers have to send notice to the purchasing owner. I guess after the sled is sold, it is up to that owner to contact a dealer to see if any recalls exist.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's what I mean rev...it is so fricken easy for Cat to put a post on their site about the recall, you know, taking care of their customers. If I didn't visit SW, I doubt that I would know about the recall...at least not til I was up north riding, then too late. I would have to rely on dumb luck or coincidence before then. I bought my sled new and still haven't heard from anyone. It's like they made the recall so they can say they did, but want to get by w/few people as possible knowing about it....fewer repairs = saving money!

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Originally posted by JIM FRITCH@Nov 2 2002, 05:22 PM
Here's what I mean rev...it is so fricken easy for Cat to put a post on their site about the recall, you know, taking care of their customers. If I didn't visit SW, I doubt that I would know about the recall...at least not til I was up north riding, then too late. I would have to rely on dumb luck or coincidence before then. I bought my sled new and still haven't heard from anyone. It's like they made the recall so they can say they did, but want to get by w/few people as possible knowing about it....fewer repairs = saving money!
I see now, said the blind man. That does sound bad. Call AC & let them know you were in the dark from your dealer.

Now service bulletins are a different story. A lot of times nothing is said until you complain about a problem.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Rev I took your advice. Went to Cats site to send them a message....only one problem...YOU CAN'T SEND THEM A MESSAGE TRHOUGH THEIR OWN STUPID SITE!! :hallo2: Sorry, that was a tension-breaker, just had to doo it. I'll be better after my meds.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Doo you think there's a reason for this :sly: ??? :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had two recalls on my atv. It was a honda but i received notices in the mail from Honda for both of them. They also had it listed on their website.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well we have to get something streight here. First, a "Recall" is only issued for a "Safety" related problem and they are forever. The Co. that issues the recall must report the problem to the goverment within 48 hr's of the discovery otherwise huge fines will be imposed. I know that someone will make a case out of this but the piston problem would never qualify for a safety related problem. Second, if Arctic notified its Dealers about their intenions it was probely by a Service Bulletin. Just my .02 :(

Auggie

·
Registered
285 Posts
I received a letter from Cat re the service bulletin for my 800 2 weeks ago. If you are the 1st owner, you should have received one.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jim,, you should of received a leter form A/C about the pistons,,, i did. And i think auggie is right about the safety thing, if a problem is found with a product that will cause bodily harm to a user they have to post it. If it is just a problem (like our pistons) they will just keep it as a service bulletin, kinda hush hush as to save money as you said, and people who ask shall recieve, (new pistons) etc. I agree that there ways of taking care of problems is not right but they all do it that way,,, Chevy, Ford, Chrysler,,, they play the same games.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Auggie is right about the difference between a service bulliten and a recall ,saftey related. Like when Cat in 99 had a recall on some of their clutches. This was a safety issue because of the clutches flying apart and causing bodily injury. You think they would have figured this out with all the research and developement? I had a clutch come apart after 1900 miles (serviced every 300 miles) and my dealer waranteed it for me two years after my warantee had run out. That's service. For how many years has Cat had stator problems and they never did anything about and still haven't because it is not a safety issue? I checked into this after my stator went out and would not be covered. Cat almost lost me as a customer on that one after finding out the dealer wanted $499 for a new one. Had mine rebuilt for $125.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, recall, service bulletin, now I understand the difference. But whatever it's properly called, something's faulty in Cat's way of communicating this to their customers. Whether it's the dealer (which is very likely in my case :angry: ) not reporting the sale to Cat to have the serial # in their database or Cat not sending letters to every customer.

Sorry to vent again, 'guess I just expect too much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts