Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just studded my track yesterday and I decided to check it out in the yard.  When I throttle it enough to move there is so much torque that the front end picks up slightly.  This means I have no steering.  When I would gas it to move forward I would have to let off to beable to steer.  Does this have to do with my front shocks or the back or both?  I dont know if I am gonna like this setup come winter.  I have a set of 6inch woodys up front that have 2 seasons on them.  I just bought a set of new stud boy 6 inch shaper bars but havent put those on yet.  I have a repair manual that shows me how to make adjustments but I was wondering if you guys could steer me in the right direction.  No pun intended!  
  By the way, when I really throttle it, my sled picks up all the way across my yard.  

A

·
0 Posts
Keep in mind, you're on grass not snow or ice.  You WILL hook up better.  You could start by tightening up your limiter strap on the rear suspension.  Best to check a race setup book by cat.  My ZRT pics up about 3-4 inches when it hooks up good.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I would wait for the snow to fly before you make any adjustments.  My sled would pop wheelies on grass even before studs were added.

A

·
0 Posts
The last time I tried it I just got my 93 Formula Plus 580 and ended up actually running behind it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Bet it looks great though...wheelies across the front yard.  Think I will go get my sled out.
JR, how long did it take you to stud your sled?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it took a few hours to mark and drill the holes.  I did that tuesday.  Wednesday around 3:00 I finished up the last bit of drilling then took a break.  I started studding it around 5 or 6 and studded til around 9:30.  I took a couple breaks.  I think the drilling was more difficult then putting the actual studs in.  After a while my arm would get tired because I was trying to put my weight into it.  I took it out today to try it and man does it make a difference.  Just throttling it alittle and it sets ya back.  I bought the studs at a place in Greenville Michigan.  They were having their snow show and I picked up a set of 144 stud boys for $220.00   I thought that was a pretty good deal.  Now all I have to do is go buy me a set of new O-rings for the cylinders.  While I was tuning it up I had the heads off and now I am getting a bunch of air bubbling in the coolant tank.  As far as I know, they are an arm and a leg to purchase.  Hopefully this is my problem.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have a 99zrt with a few motor mods and 192 studs. It used to be uncontrollable even with the dial adjust front shock when opening the happy lever all the way. I fixed most of this by moving the rear arm and the stop back one hole in the rear of the rear susp. It does ride a little rougher but hooks up great. I may by the way be selling this sled as I have purchased the 67 plymouth gtx. Wife hasn't "told" me to sell my (one of many) back up sled yet, but when I start dumping money into the car--- Hopefully my new sled hooks just as well. Kevin

·
Registered
575 Posts
My 00 ZR 6 EFI lifts too when I hammer on the throttle. I have some mods done.aswell, I think I am going to get the coupling kit cause last winter wa just crazy. I was wheelling everywhere. My buddy thinks it is cool. He wishes his sled would do the same, but its doo that explains all.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i have a 96 zert a man dont she go, v-force reeds and black magic silencer, she hooks and goes, BTW why you take off the heads???, and the bubbling in coolant is trapped air in the coolant system, you'll have to bleed out air before you start runnin it or you'll be buy more then just o-rings.....

·
Registered
119 Posts
studded 900 with 144 roten studs from start to finish took 2 hr 10 min as well studded 500 zl todar with 96 studs took 1hr 20 min you must have bin napping lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for your help and suggestions.. btw, care to take a look at my other post regarding the chokes and tell me what you think. thanks

·
Registered
980 Posts
vacman, got ya beat.
Hydraulic sled lift, air drill, 3/8 air impact, and a propane torch.
Managed 144 studs in my backup sx700 in under an hour.
Heating the cutting tool up with the torch is a big help.
Once you get the track marked and you get a rhythm down studding can go quick.
vman

·
Registered
119 Posts
going for forty minhave another 900 to stud sat will have lift air rachet got to try and beat you re time lol versatile
:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts