Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recoil on my MXZ700 (2000) has been acting up for awhile, not catching, not returning etc. I popped it off tonite to have a look, and boy its trashed.The plastic sheave is BADLY worn where it sits against the spring, and the other plastic pieces don't look the best.The other weird part is, the steel housing has 2 big cracks in it! WTF would cause that? I always pull it out easy till it catches, then yank it.I'll bet I'm not going to like the price on this am I.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
nope...

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
No, your not going to like the price.

But what do you ever repair, that you like the price on.  As for the cracks, I don't know how those would have happened.

FishHog

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I can't figure out what would have cracked it...maybe you pull too hard? Take it easy on the rope Schwarzenegger

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Speaking of pulling too hard. When we were in Cochrane last time. My bud broke 2 bones in his hand starting his 800 renegade in -30. The motor engaged when the pull cord was all the way out..  Ouchh  No worries though he will be trying to bust powder this weekend in cochrane.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well list was $225 Canadian at the dealer and he'll give me a deal, so I ordered a new one, don't want to get stuck on the trail.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My recoil let go to, totally destroyed all the guts on the recoil. A new complete  recoil was 165 cdn. It is for a 2001 mxz 800. May be it will fit yours. Also a word of advise,If you tear down your recoil to service it this summer replace the spring clip with new. I think that was my mistake

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thats bullcrap, that these recoils are always breaking, me and my friend both drive 01 mxzx800 and mine is broken as we speak, and my friend busted on him twice now.  screw the wieght savings and lets put more reliable parts in these sleds.  

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was the steel case one, not plastic, thats what your are right? What breaks in the plastic ones?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
what breaks?  The pawl, the pawl holder, and the piece the recoil sits on.  Mine is broken to,  on my mxz800.

·
Registered
158 Posts
For me what happened was I broke the recoil spring first . Then I replaced it and it broke again, only about 10 pulls out of it . Well 3 springs broke, and finally on the 4th spring it self distructed. What I think happened was the plastic shaft worn out and allowed the pulley to flex and bind and break the springs. It had about 6000km on it.  

·
Registered
49 Posts
The palstic shaft with the push on clip is worthless. The whole cover is worthless, yet doo commands a nice price. Think maybe a bolt throught the center might work? I haven't looked. Mine is starting to act up, as well, and I usually engage the pawl before yanking.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Belleville, You can have those recoil assemlies rebuilt. Mine broke and I had it rebuilt for around $45 U.S. The thing that got me was mine actually broke out on the trail and I started my sled with the spare rope around the clutch. A clip that was in there tore up my stator, that cost me like $345.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I picked up my new recoil yesterday from my dealer, and it is a new design.  There is an aluminum disk about 2" in diameter in the center of the cover, and a little stub that extends into the center of the plastic hub.  I am out of warranty on my 2001 800, but my first recoil was replaced after 50 miles.  I payed nothing for this new one, and if you had problems with yours before, demand that ski doo pick up the tab.  They know there is a problem, and I think they have issued a bulletin with this new part number.  My dealer had one that looked different from the original, but they went through the trouble to call ski doo and verify that there is a more current update, and then ordered the new one for me at no charge.  Sorry I don't have the part number, but the update is available.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was talking to a dealer in Quebec a couple of weeks ago while I was on a trip.  He said that the problem with the plastic recoils is that they cannot withstand the heat coming off of the pipe.  They tried reflective heat tape but it didnt work.  The heat from the pipe was warping all of the plastic parts just enough to cause breakage.  They went through about six recoils on one sled until they replaced it with a metal one.  No problems since!

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
You hit the nail on the head chuckman24.  
Heat is the reason for failure. The blueflame syndrom  is what is causing it.  It is enough to melt my buddies vent and make it sag down 2-3 inches. The blue flames and backfiring seem to happen more when the heated carbs are on.  They need to address the muffler fire situation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts