Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rode my FST for the first time and noticed when I got done riding the exhaust was glowing red hot. I wasn't riding hard by anymeans! What gives? Should I worry about this or is this normal for a 4 stroker? I lnly have 75 miles on it. It's still getting broke in! Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
the fst i ride does it too. your right boot will get auful hot sometimes too. i lit a smoke off the pipe at the turbo housing. ream the #### out of it till the warranty expires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just rode my FST for the first time and noticed when I got done riding the exhaust was glowing red hot. I wasn't riding hard by anymeans! What gives? Should I worry about this or is this normal for a 4 stroker? I lnly have 75 miles on it. It's still getting broke in! Any advise would be appreciated.[/b]
Thats your turbo getting red hot, it's normal. First thing i do is start the machine and don't touch the throttle, then i hit the left button and bring up the engine temp, let the sled warm up to 90-100 degrees. There is a new spark plug out for your sled. Also have you had all your up-dates completed? Call your polaris dealer and give them your vin # and they can tell you over the phone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Possible causes:

Timing too low; gas burning in the exhaust valve and exhaust instead of in the cylinder

and / or

Way too lean

And like tifa said, ensure that the turbo is not seized.
turbo engine use less compression than conventional engine, the turbo gives it. les compression need more timing, but when the turbo kick in, timing need to be retarded by the computer.

hope that will help

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's normal, all turbos glow red......even on aircraft engines that I work on.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
under hard riding the pipe MAY get red, but the turbo, no. you would break down the oil and it wouldnt last 5 miles. if the turbo is glowing red thats bad.

·
Registered
354 Posts
is your turbo turning?[/b]

The Turbos on the 15 liter diesels i work on get red hot, it is normal for your pipes right after the turbo to get hot...... Do snowmobile turbos have a chirp after a full throttle run? do they even whistle when running? i know the 75 mm turbos on diesels make some noise.

·
Registered
204 Posts
This is an over-rich fuel condition with an improper fuel mapping program. This was addressed each successive year since the 2006 machines were put out by Polaris.

The newer mapping should cool that muffler down seriously, and improve the heck out of the mileage.

Whoever did the latest reprograming didn't get it right. I own two of these and neither one gets the turbo glowing red, but the muffler used to glow in the dark the first year before the brilliant engineers at Polaris decided that a full rich was not the right way to go.

Once you get this issue fixed, and put a much hotter thermostat in the sled (180 degree job) you are going to like the balls this sled has on low end. Not only does it get 150 hp, but it get 90% of it after 3500 rmp. If you like neck snapping excelleration, this will put a smile on your face. Unlike most 2 stroke sleds which need to get lots of revs to get the ponies, this one pulls the horse out way down low where you spend most of your day.

If you get tired of the arm strong steering with the Polaris designed spindles, junk them out for the holtz jobs which put it back where the spindles should have been in the first place. Polaris copied the Holtz design and changed out the spindles for 2008 on all the IQ sleds. I guess that says alot about Polaris engineering team.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts