Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with the boyseen rad reeds? I heard they weren't reliable? Thanks

·
Registered
660 Posts
No experience with the RAD valve, but the actual reeds I have used.
Most Polaris reed cages are comparable to the RAd valve design, so it's cheaper to just install the reeds.

The reeds in my opinion are probably the best trail reed on the market.
    I find that Polaris uses a very stiff reed and clutches accordingly for lots of high end horsepower, alot of thier pre-VES models have "peeky" powerbands and as a result suffer in the low end torque and low end throttle responce.

If you are looking for high end drag reeds I do not recomend them, They seem to trip-up the flow at constant high RPM.
But if you want more low end power and throttle responce, they are probably the cheapest solution on the market.

Another good low end reed is the Carbon tech "mid tension". These are a better midrange-top reed. But are a little more expensive.

What year and model sled are you working on? Theres a good chance I have set one up before and can give you my test results and what works best.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ride a 02 800. I saw a set somwhere + what impressed me was the cage was machined the same as the carb boot whereas the v-force has the square opening. A go fast guy I know told me they were'nt reliable. It must be the same material as the reed petals boysen makes? We usually "port" the carb boot to match the v-force. We could skip this with the rad. Anyway if anyone has input...... Thanks.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have not had a chance to tune an 800 Polaris twin yet, but I can tell you that the Rad valve will be reliable at high RPM.

The people who have reliability problems with Boyesen are the ones who use them for the wrong application. The top reed is very thin fiberglass and has a tendancy to tear if you are running full RPM lake runs.

The RAD valve uses a carbon fiber reed on top and a thicker fiberglass bottom reed -  This top reed should be much more durable than the flimsy regular boyesen reed valves.

I would not worry about full RPM runs on the RAD valves.

I have a Dyno chart in front of me for an 800 ZR, the gains are very impressive. The start of the peak power curve starts 300 RPM sooner and it follows the existing curve staying about 2-3 hp higher. Peak tops out at 3hp higher - looks like a good product.

I usually call Boyesen tech center for specific info - they can send you a dyno chart for your sled. 1-800-441-1177

Good luck

·
Registered
852 Posts
I know most people on this website will disagree with me but its been my experience that for the dollar aftermarket reeds dont doo sheet. Posibly in a older motor design maybe a little. We had a 2001 edge that loss power with v force and a doo 440 that we took carbon fiber, unknown ones out and put stock ones in and ran the same. I dont want to nit pik , I`m sure something shows up sometimes on the dyno but 1 or 2 horsepower for X amount? your better off just working on your tuning skills and the money you saved not buying reeds you can use for beer at the victory party.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I will second that i have seen too many guys waste money for a little or no improvment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts