Snowmobile World banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 29 years, I bought my 3rd Ski-Doo!

No snow here yet in NW Lower Michigan, but I've been looking my '02 MXZ 500 Trail over closley and committing the owners manual to memmory, :D since taking delivery in early October.

Wow has Ski-Doo changed since my last sled, a 335 Olympic of 1970 vintage! :D I've been told my MXZ has 95 horsepower? :hallo1: Is this true? :0:

As is always with me, I have the desire to "Optimise" this sled,, intended for trail riding. I have been suggested 120-144 studs not to exceede 3/8 of an inch over my .880 track. I have been advised to go up to 6" carbides with this setup.

I am a large man, 260 pounds, and would like to "Optimise" this sled's performance without sacrificeing reliability. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have been a "Lurker" of this forum for a few hours,, :D and like what I see. Hello everyone, and I hope to hear from you all.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Not a ski-doo man myself but a couple of the guys i ride with are and they love 'em, anyway welcome back to the sport, its always good to see and talk to another rider no matter what he rides! :thumbsup: SWRules

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I would suggest you ride your sled before modding it. If your last sled was a 335 Olympic this sled is going to feel like a top fuel dragster on steroids.

Yes your sled does have around 95 Hp and thats a lot considering the sled and you weight under 1000 pounds.

I would also go with 120 studs, 144 might be a bit much for a 500.

Have fun.

·
Registered
243 Posts
:) Welcome back to the sport! Your 500 mxz is a great choise. The ride is incredable. The trail system has come a long way in the last 20 yrs. I hope your machine has RER, that is the best thing ever invented (Reverse)
Good Luck!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I second that - ride it first and then make mods as needed.

I moved to the US from Ireland and bought my first sled in 88 when I was 16 - a Polaris Indy Cross Country (340 liquid cooled, it was an '83). The first time I rode it the acceleration blew me away. Ha ha. Still remember that.

The next year I studded it and put a new clutch in.

·
Registered
316 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :) :thumbsup: hello and welcome to the site! i will most likely see you on the trails around here. i live just off the michigan line in south bend ,in. and go trail riding alot in lower and middle michigan. get ready we are supposed to get some snow this weekend . hopefully.%%%% i will have to go with everybody else atleast ride it a fewe times before you dump money into upgrades. and with studs i think 96 studs is the recomended amount for that horse power for trail riding unless you are going to be getting into aggressive riding that should be plenty don't put any on the outer track we have expeirenced alot of tear outs with that latley and they now recomend to just do the inner track see you on the trails and enjoy that new sled!!!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Do I hear an echo in here? I would have to agree with all of the above. Studs are a great idea but I would get to know your new sled a little before doing any serious mods.

Welcome...

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Great machine you got there. I had a 00 MXZ 500 Sport. Put 3000 miles on in 2 seasons(one good year,one bad year) did only maintainance,very reliable,sipped oil and gas.Man I miss that sled.I did not stud it but regretted it. With your rider weight 120 studs would be good. As far as any mods,trust me ,you will be overwhelmed with the power that sled has,no mods needed.Understanding that your last ride was a dinosaur :p :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SWRules Thanks for the welcome! :D My mentor echoes all of your suggestions pretty much. One could say I'm getting a bit antsy,, I've even considered having my buddy drive me down the road on the trailer :D :doh: but thought better of it after my beer buzz wore off. :D Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Originally posted by Troll@Nov 15 2002, 02:50 PM
but thought better of it after my beer buzz wore off. :D
Good choice, but it would have been fun I'm sure.

I agree with the others here, its good advice.

And I would like to add my welcome aboard.

FishHog

·
Registered
278 Posts
Originally posted by FishHog@Nov 15 2002, 09:05 PM

I would like to add my welcome aboard.

FishHog
:withstupid: :D :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would run 96 studs, 1.0" long, and stick with either Roetin Hornet's or Woody's. You can always add another 24 for the 120, but I think you will like the 96. I would go no more than about 6" on the carbide for your purposes. Anything more would be overkill in your situation and just make steering harder. 6" gives a great bite. The other thing I would watch for is think about stiffer rear springs. The stock springs are not set up for 260 pounds. Changing them is easy and inexpensive. Try it first, but I think you will be bottoming out quite a bit. Also, have someone knowledgable help you with the studding, and remember to use tunnel protectors.

Welcome back to the sport and SKI-DOO!

·
Registered
678 Posts
I would also say heavier springs for your weight, especially if you get a wild hair and do some aggresive riding. You want Ski-Doo parts #486099100 & #486099300, they are about $41.50 a peice. :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
I agree with the 96 studs for you can always add more later if you need to, same with the runners 6" would be max. Springs would be a good call also the factory set-up is for a average weight rider say 180lbs so 260 would be pushing the suspensions limits and in the long run there will be more problems so get the heavier springs. good luck and welcome back.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Welcome Back :) I agree you should your new sled before making any performance modification :) Good Luck :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts