Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most of you know my dad gave me his sled. We have the last name. He told me that he wont have to sign the registration because we have the same last name. (to swtich the registration to my name) Is this true?

Also, which oil should i put in my sled? Synthetic, not? It is pre-mix, any specific brand? I know just about nothinng about oil.

·
Registered
361 Posts
if its cheaper to let him register/insure it in his name let him go ahead, before i turned 25 my insurance on my 800 was ridiculous, and i tried to insure it in my fathers name but didnt get away with it.

As for the oil, i think you will probably hear a million different opinions about what they use, but i will tell you that the guy who i trust to work on my sled told me to use just plain old mineral oil, so i would be shocked if that wouldnt work in your older sled. good luck

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not insurnce, its registration. Im not going to insure it, way too old. I dont live with my dad so the registration has to be put on my name.

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
registration can be in anyones name, they are responsible to a point with what happens however. does not matter if you live with him but do tell the officer that it is his sled and that you are borrowing it.

Oil, bombi mineral oil will be fine. Any good cheap mineral oil will also be fine, just check the pour point. Not to start a chavez debate but you would do good with citgo sea and snow imo, and that is synthetic and cheap.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Not to start a chavez debate but you would do good with citgo sea and snow imo, and that is synthetic and cheap.
[/quote]

:lmao:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
registration can be in anyones name, they are responsible to a point with what happens however. does not matter if you live with him but do tell the officer that it is his sled and that you are borrowing it.

Oil, bombi mineral oil will be fine. Any good cheap mineral oil will also be fine, just check the pour point. Not to start a chavez debate but you would do good with citgo sea and snow imo, and that is synthetic and cheap.[/b]

hmm, im not sure if you guys arent understanding or im just not saying it right. I guess i WANT the registration in my name. He gave the sled to me, he will no longer be riding it. Where he lives hes not allowed to ride on the property (Polk properties). It would make more sense for the registration to be in my name. Plus i need to buy new registration stickers, they are from 05.

Im not looking to buy a super expensive oil, just something that will work decently well with my old sled. I'll look for the citgo oil when i go to my dads, theres a store a minute down the road that sells a lot of oil (big intersection), ill check there and buy something there. What is pour point? Is that kind of like viscosity?

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
hmm, im not sure if you guys arent understanding or im just not saying it right. I guess i WANT the registration in my name. He gave the sled to me, he will no longer be riding it. Where he lives hes not allowed to ride on the property (Polk properties). It would make more sense for the registration to be in my name. Plus i need to buy new registration stickers, they are from 05.

Im not looking to buy a super expensive oil, just something that will work decently well with my old sled. I'll look for the citgo oil when i go to my dads, theres a store a minute down the road that sells a lot of oil (big intersection), ill check there and buy something there. What is pour point? Is that kind of like viscosity?[/b]

you want it registered in your name then get a notarized bill of sale and the vin and go to the BMV (at least in OH). You can't register it in your name if it is not yours.

You can get citgo at meijers, gander mtn and a bunchof outo stores. Pour point is where it starts to solidify, not good for 2 strokes.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
He should be able to go into the secretary of state with a bill of sale for no money, and tell them he gave it to you. You will not have to pay anything other than the registration fee. Oil.....Take your pick.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dad gave me the registration ticket (the piece of paper that you would show to prove its registered). Right now its registered in my dads name. All im asking is does he have to sign the back of the registration card to switch over the registration? He said he wont and all i have to do is go to the SOS (secretary of state) tell them i need the registration switched to my name and that he is my dad and they will do it because we have the same last name.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He should be able to go into the secretary of state with a bill of sale for no money, and tell them he gave it to you. You will not have to pay anything other than the registration fee.[/b]

So if i go with him he does not need to sing the back. And since hes lazy and wont do that he needs to sign it?
I scanned the back of the registration. If he fills this out and signs it i know i can go to the SOS and switch the reg. over. If he doesnt fill it out or sign it am i still good because of the last name thing? I know i may be overexaggerating this issue. I will probably make my dad fill it out. Its more of knowing if my dad is right or not.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Fill it out and sign it or no go on the switch in MI. I went through the same thing with my uncle, had to go back and have him sign it before they would switcch it over. Save yourself the second trip do it the first time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just have your dad sign it and it should say a $ ammount on michigan reg...have him just put $0 and maybe also gift. You should only have to pay the 30 somthing dollars to register it which you will have to do anyway by the looks of it so ya, put it in your name and make it right by all means. Then you'll be good the next 3 years or until granholm skrews us out of that money too! And secretary of state is the place you have to go in Michigan....take a # and be patient :)

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I say what color underwear should I wear,LOL. thats the same as asking about oil here. I would run cheap oil, I think your best bet is the citgo. I use amsoil. I told you pm jasonf and see what cheap oil he uses. I think its the citgo, cost effective for you.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The SOS aroudn here is suprisingly fast, they have a new system, not sure how it works but it is faster. I forgot to pm jasonf, if i remember i will.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
The SOS aroudn here is suprisingly fast, they have a new system, not sure how it works but it is faster. I forgot to pm jasonf, if i remember i will.[/b]
the one in reed city is pretty quick as well, at least at 9 am friday morning.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
The SOS aroudn here is suprisingly fast, they have a new system, not sure how it works but it is faster. I forgot to pm jasonf, if i remember i will.[/b]
Yep, I'm a Citgo Sea and Snow user, Renegademike and I just stockpiled 20 gallons worth :thumbsup:, cleaned out every Gander Mtn for Detroit to the Big Mack. It was 8.99 a gallon last seaon but its up to 9.99 this season.
I know others will disagree but I noticed no differnce between this and the Interceptor I used previously. FWIW, just freshened up my top end and everything looked great, exhaust valves wiped clean with a rag :thumbsup:
Flame on!! :devil:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought marathon's marine-terrain today on my way back from my dads. About $3.99/qt. They had ski-doo, AC, and poo oil there but they were all over $8, i didnt want to pay that much.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I bought marathon's marine-terrain today on my way back from my dads. About $3.99/qt. They had ski-doo, AC, and poo oil there but they were all over $8, i didnt want to pay that much.[/b]
:thumbsup: Now you just need your reg sticker and permit and your good to go . I pay 10x the amount for the oil I run 28.. a gal :whistling: . Im really thinking of switching but...... :unsure:

mutt

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, i told him about the registering thing, he said he will write me a bill of sale so they wont charge me for taxes, i forgot to have him do that but i think im going there again next weekend to help him cut wood, ill have him do it then if i remember LOL. Im not going to register it though until after x-mas, gonna use my money from that to do it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts