Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i picked up my new sled this fall the dealer told me that the sticker should go on the hood and that he was told that the placement may be an issue this season (more tickets issued for this). my question is that my other sled which i bought used (1 year ago) already had the sticker on the tunnel (i think that is what it is called) back behind me feet, is this an issue i should be concerned about? i live in New york if that helps at all.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
One thing I hate is cluttering up my sled w/those silly reg. stickers.
I only put the state-shaped sticker on my sleds, not those annoying 3 inch numbers. I trim the excess white background off the sticker and stick it in the lower rear corner on each side of my windshield. The only problem w/this is if I have to replace the windshield, I have to buy new stickers. I've never had a prob w/the law, but I ride in WI and MI

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I believe in MI, it is similar to boat reg stickers. It must be on the front third of the sled. I put mine on the belly pan. Everybody told me it wouldn't stick, but its been fine.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
They should be fine there RF...that's where I put them on my '96 ZRT and they never fell off.

·
Registered
355 Posts
you should just go ahead and put them on your belly pan.....last yr in the tug...right next to the redfield resivour...DEC stopped us and i ended up getting into a HUGE arguement with them on the sticker deal...cause on my dads xlt they were put on the tunnel by our dealer...and when they stopped us, they claimed its illegal cause then u dont have a certain # of ins of relflectiveness on your hood...a real load of BS!! the arguement was really over...if u get a ticket for having your reg. #'s in the wrong spot the ticket is 130 dollars...however...if you dont have your sled registered at all....its only 60...i just flipped on them...then they gave us this gay ### sticker to put on our windsheild..for further checkpts...got stopped at a checkpt little while later by the state troopers...pointed to the sticker...siad it doesnt mean a thing...moral of the story...just put them on the belly pan...-INDY

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I used to just keep mine in the trunk. I was only checked once, and I played dumb(I'm quit good at it!LOL)and said I just picked up the sled and was waiting to put the stickers on when I got the sled cleaned up and heated in the garage so that the stickers would stick. Worked for me that time, but I have heard allot of other guys that were screwed similiar to INDY500XCSP and have since wised up. It sucks and it looks stupid, but just stickem' on the belly pan or anywhere else up front. ???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
indy, thanks for the heads up. did your dad have to get a new sticker to put on the belly pan? and if so what steps did he have to take (like contact dmv or re-register the sled)? it looks like i may come into the same trouble with my 500xc sp.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
here we only have one sticker and we have to stick it on the left side (sitting on the sled) of the sled so that oncomming traffic will see it !

·
Registered
692 Posts
getting a ticket for a sticker! hers my 2 cents on that

here i am sitting on the pooper
given birth to another state trooper!

·
Registered
63 Posts
When i bought my sled i didn't want to put the registration stickers on my hood. So i checked with afriend who happen to be a econ officer ,said they either had to go on the hood or belly pan. The tunnel is deffinatly a no no. Said it is more of a ticket they would write if when they stop you , you acted like an A hole. Same thing with loud pipes Said this year they relly intend to crack down on modified exhaust.

·
Registered
355 Posts
well acutally we havent done anything yet...good thing you brought this discussion up...we talked bout re-registering it..but i think what we are gonna do is warm it up...then weve got like a scraper type tool with a razor on the end...and jsut slowly lift it up off the tunnel and put it on the belly pan...if that doesnt work well have to go get new stickers...should be ok tho...-INDY
DAMN THEM DEC ####S!!! :cussing:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Most place I've seen they tell you to put it on the hood, but some officers will let you slide with it on the windshield or belly pan. I have seen them fall off of the belly pan. When mine comes in, I'm going to rivet a peice of white aluminum to the belly pan and put them on there. It will look like a number plate that is on the racers. This way there is no damage to the paint and it will stick a lot better than on the belly pan.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I bought a piece of 1/8" clear lexan. I am going to cut the NY State Sticker Down, seems like there is a lot of excess around the numbers and place for the validation sticker, and rivot the lexan to the belly pan. Then put the sticker over the lexan and the rivots. Should stay put. Just remember to put a stainless steel washer on the inside of the hole in the belly pan. This will help keep from stressing the plastic and give the rivot something to bite on.

·
Registered
678 Posts
We're fortunate to just have this small sticker on each side here in WI. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
In wisconsin we have small 4"x4" stickers.I used to put them on the belly pan but they were to easy to steal and had to get new ones. So now I put them on the hood so when I glide through the check points they see them and hopefully let me go :0: or stop me :nervous: and let the fun begin :cussing: :cussing:

DNR :angry:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by folgers@Nov 4 2002, 12:18 PM
getting a ticket for a sticker! hers my 2 cents on that

here i am sitting on the pooper
given birth to another state trooper!
EASE UP THERE FOLGERS!! SOME OF US ARE IN LAW ENFORCEMENT!! :sly: IT'S LIKE ANY OTHER JOB, THERE ARE ALWAYS BUTTHEAD COWORKERS.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
When we had our state ride a few years ago my home town was hosting it. So that night we pulled into town and found several officers walking around. They were going up and down the line of sleds and any sled that didn't have the stickers on the upper front half of the sled so only the hood got a ticket. Needless to say there were alot of upset people. They should atleast include directions with the sticker as to were to place it. Our are about 2 by 4 inches so not real bad with a reflective background and black or red lettering.

·
Registered
483 Posts
GOTSPEED24, in NY when you buy new, you apply the registration sticker and validation sticker yourself. In NY, law also reads that registration number decals "must be displayed on both sides of the cowling of the snowmobile at all times. The cowling is defined as the forward portion of the snowmobile surounding the engine and clutch assembly." "Any display behind the snowmobile cowling (tunnel or seat area) or on the windshield is illegal"...and for out of staters coming to NY, you don't have to put on reg. sticker, just validation (yearly),next to your home state reg. #.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts