Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with a sled for sale that I would like to buy as a spare. The problem is he bought it wrecked, fixed it and never bothered to register it (the old registration is gone and he doesn't even remember the original owners name). I know the guy well enough to know it isn't stolen so thats not a problem. He didn't care because it never left his farm. But I don't want to run into a hassle, and have a problem getting the paperwork after I buy it. So I thought I would see if anyone has had this problem before. I live in Illinois.
Thanks

·
Registered
756 Posts
Run the reg. #'s or VIN thru your DMV they will tell you the last registered owner who needs to contacted to sign off on the machine.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
fish,
here in canada we would go to where the registrations are done and get a lost one, you have to take in the vin number. if the sled is still registered in the previous owners name you might have to get a letter or bill of sale from him.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Just take down the vin number off the side of the tunnel and contact your DMV and ask them what to do. If it is like most titles, the original owner had to mail in the bottom portion of his original title when he sold it to your friend that would let the state know that he had sold it and he would be released from liability. All you can do is ask, and I guarantee you they will tell you what you need to do.

Snow-Drift

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Fish, I live in so. IL and used to deal w/that too, until WI got picky about sleds being registered. You should have no problem, since there are no titles for sleds in IL, and you can provide your friends name as prev. owner and that he only used it on private grounds. Should be no problem.

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by JIM FRITCH@Oct 9 2002, 11:12 AM
Fish, I live in so. IL and used to deal w/that too, until WI got picky about sleds being registered. You should have no problem, since there are no titles for sleds in IL, and you can provide your friends name as prev. owner and that he only used it on private grounds. Should be no problem.
When I replaced the tunnel on my ZRT I had to show Secre. of State both registrations, receipts on all parts, receipt on used tunnel, copy of drivers license of prev. owner of tunnel and pictures of completed sled just to get it reregistered. I gave up on the local Sec of State and went directly to Lansing.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Take a hand grinder and remove the VIN.

No VIN. Can't prove anything. Problem Solved.

newf :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts