Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! We have removed the rear suspension of a 1998 Z440 and we are unable to reinstall it. We do not have the tool to remove the spring. Does anyone have any tricks at getting the rear bolts in. We were able to reinstall the front bolts, but the rear seems impossible. Any help would be greatly appriciated. I believe this suspension is the same as the ZR and ZL models, as well as others i'm sure. Thank you.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Before I put the suspension back I always take a tie down strap and hook it to the top shaft with one hook and to a cross shaft on the bottom with the other hook and compress the suspension down. Then put it back in front holes first, then You will have to release some tension off from the tie down strap to bring the rear shaft up to the holes. If you release the tension slowly enough you can get the holes to line right up. :D I remove and replace suspensions by myself alot and found this works with very little effort. ;) Good Luck SWRules

·
Registered
448 Posts
I just put mine back in without the tool. Release your springs. Leave the spring attached on the adjuster block. Slide a robertson screw driver into one of the adjustment holes in the skid near the long end of the spring where it goes into the lower mount sleeve. you can use this as a pry (without causing damage), release the pressure, then undo the lower spring mount sleeve.

Now that your springs are disconnected, slam the skid into the tunnel. Bolt with blue loctite. Set the spring adjusters on the lowest/softest setting, then with 2 robertson screwdrivers, stick them through the adjustment holes in the skid gently prying & leap frogging, until the lower mount sleeve is in position.

It works perfectly, just watch your fingers!!!! this works, but I'll be making my own Spring Wrench very soon, just to make it even easier.

I've heard of people using the technique listed above, but with the ratchet style of tie downs. That seems to be the more popular way. If you use the screwdriver way, just be gentle & very careful! :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
un bolt the two slide blocks, on the springs, I believe the blocks say up on them. slide the block out toward you and the spring will come off and relieve the tesion. once those blocks are off you can easily compress the suspension to make it line up.after it is bolted up lift the blocks back on and bolt them up. I think you may also have to remove the two foward idler wheels to allow the spring to come off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts