Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
what's the best way to remove the chaincase cover on a 99zrt800 without making a mess?  Flip the sled up on it's side and take the oil out with a spoon?  I don't have a vacuum pump...are there any good tricks?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Put down a old piece of carpet on the floor tip the sled on it's side and then go to it. Whatcha doin in there anyways?
Got something up your sleve you can tell another fellow 99 zrt 800 owner?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing glamorous...adding a reverse kit.  At 34 I'm too old to lift this thing.  Not too old to duct tape the throttle to the handlebar though :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Been-there-done-that.  I agree with you scott_nadeau. The Turkey baster makes a real good syphon.  Every shop should have one.

·
Registered
458 Posts
You will like the reverse kit, although they are rather expensive
 I have 4000 miles on mine and the reverse was in it since day 1, also you can't change gears like ya could without reverse, just the top gear, maybe 1 or to 2 teeth ( more)  stock gearing 24/39  with rev. 23/39

·
Registered
900 Posts
Here's my secret..take a couple of plastic grocery bags..double them up and slide them under the chaincase.and open her up and let her drain..steve

·
Registered
190 Posts
you can buy really nice absorbent mats that will soak the oil up or a cheap way out is a diaper in the bellypan -not glamorous but it works.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey, you guys talk about moms kitchen gadgets for working on your sleds well heres a good one, the dishwasher it cleans stuff good, just run some orange koolaide through after washing your parts and don't get caught like I did and have to explain why I needed to clean the inside of the dishwasher and keep a straight face.
Oh, by the way scrape off the big chunks first.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Most people do not know this..but there is a drainplug on the cats for the chaincase.  It is up under the tunnel like snopro said.  It is a fairly tight fit to get a wrench on the drain plug because its kind of between the track and the tunnel.  Found out every sled has a drain plug.  We even looked on my Dads SRX, who was unaware of a drain plug, and found his in the same place.
I had to call a dealer when I changed my oil because I could not find that plug.  Hope this info. doesnt seem elementary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts