Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its getting close enough to winter to start thinking of repairing the front suspension.  i had pushed back the trailing arms and rippled the tunnel under the foot rest after plowing into a stump at the end of last season.

my question is: would you tie down to pods and pull the assembly with a come along to advance the suspension and tamp out the dent?, or take the machine to your dealer to replace bent parts?

prehaps you have an other solution.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Rebuilding smash-ups is my hobby. Really fun stuff.

The best way is to remove the individual components and replace them seperately. Once every thing is stripped, measure each component and determin if it is within allowable tolerances.

Personally, I would replace with good components because I don't like the "look" of welded reinforcement plates - But to each their own.

As for the front suspention, do not attempt to straighten out a bent rod - if its bent, the upper seal is finished.

Trailings arms are a dime a dozen from local scrap yards

As for the  bulkhead, you probably have bent the supports for the suspention (I don't know what model sled you have). Strip down the oposite side for reference points and bent the support while applying heat to it.

I usually get the actual tunnel work done by a professional body shop, usually only costs a couple of hundred - sounds like your tunnel is not too bad. If your good at body work you can probably do it yourself.

If the belly pan is ripped, strip down the entire front end and change it as well. Including lifting the motor out.

At any rate, it is best to remove the motor because its easier to measure.

good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts