Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to paint the hood of my sled. I need to remove all the decals and stickers first. What's the best way to do this? I don't care about scratching the paint, I tried peeling them off and they just tear. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's a good idea but it leave's alot of glue that you still have to get offmost times . Oh by the way 3M makes a rubber wheel that you use on a drill it works very good also but I can't tell you the price good luck :D

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I agree with Lady K, goo gone works fast and easy but best of all does not hurt the finish.
Voted #-1 by me.
:)
Rick.

·
Registered
959 Posts
i would use some sort of buffer like the 3m rubber thing or i know we have a tool for cleaning off heads and blocks in tractor engines that will take off almost anything by 3m it has little rubber ringers and runs on a air tool works real slick

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use a hair dryer and WD-40.. Works great every time.. Work the WD on the glue with your finger and it will ball up and come right off.. Actually does the finish a little good, not harm.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat it up, peel off sticker... I used fuel deicer (isopropanol) to take the goo off after... it was cheap and handy.

Be careful with the heat gun... I used mine on the low setting and bubbled my paint in one spot from holding it in one place too long... :doh:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The only thing I haven't seen here yet is ether or starting fluid. I just spray some on a paper towel and the glue just wipes off.

Good Luck
Jeff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hair dryer and some starting fluid works great. I wouldn't recommend that rubber wheel from 3M. It could discolor the plastic.(It works great for removing decals off trucks!!)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the reply's. Like I said I'm not worried about the finish. The whole hood will be sanded anyway. But I don't think sanding the decals off will work well. I think I'll remove them first with the hair-dryer and give it a one over with the hand sander and see what happens. Maybe I'll remove the glue first then sand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts