Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on how to remove the driven clutch on a late model cat with the roller driven? I know it should be removed often to prevent seizing but what can I do after the fact to get this off without damaging the shaft or clutch.

Soaking in rust remover as I await your replies.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Pull belt, remove bolt, spray some WD-40 or just use your rust remover and try and shimmy it back and forth as you pull. They can be kinda tight at times, but I have never come across one that this didn't work. I just wouldn't try anything with a hammer or crow bar!haha ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
There is a special tool the dealer has. I used it when the driven clutch was seized on my brothers 98 600. It worked, but it took some effort to get it to move. Once you get it off clean the rust off the shaft and clean out the inside of the clutch where it mounts on the shaft. coat the shaft with "never seize". Be sure to check that regularly. Its not fun when you have to cut them to get them off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had read that there is a very simple way to remove a frozen clutch. Remove the bolt and fill the bolt hole with grease from your grease gun. Fill it as best you can. Now, reinsert the bolt and tighten it. The hydraulic pressure created while tightening the bolt is supposed to help pop the clutch off.

Forgot what mag I read this in (might have been SnoGoer), but the mechanics swore by this method.... SWRules

·
Registered
12 Posts
plxnbury - you've got the right idea, but that will only work on the primary. and i believe it was in snotech. late, matt

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry about that, BRAIN cramp....... ???

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can also use a front end tool used for cars called a pickle fork to remove tie rods etc... Simply place it between the clutch and shims and lightly tap on the tool. Also count how many shims there are and how thick because you will have to replace them. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everyone thanks for the help, I will work on this some more this weekend, not sure what the cat clutch puller loooks like but I may try using a automotive style flywheel type puller before I drop money on the cat tool. I will keep you posted on how it works out.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Originally posted by Fast Guy@Nov 19 2002, 10:47 PM
You can also use a front end tool used for cars called a pickle fork to remove tie rods etc... Simply place it between the clutch and shims and lightly tap on the tool. Also count how many shims there are and how thick because you will have to replace them. :)
Yah, what he said!! lol

I just did this last week!! I bought my sled last year, sparky told me he had it serviced... My secondary became one with the jack shaft... I used the front end tool... looks like a tuning fork.
Once its broke lose, I used WD-40 and emery cloth (or 220 girt sand paper), give it a light sand down and when you reinstall the clutch, put some good cold temp lube on the jack shaft.

Have you ever taken the secondary off before?? What sled is it in?? If its a ZR or ZRT, you don't have to take the belly pan support apart to get it out... push the outer plate in and jamb the belt down in the secondary... cultch comes off without hitting!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts