Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my hands on a new set of grips for my 02 ZR, they have the two different length hook style.  My question is...I'm not sure if I'm going to like the color or not and was wondering if there is a way to get the existing ones off (they only has about 600 miles on them)without destroying them, in other words, a way without cutting them off.  I may want to put originals back on.
Would like to know what others experiences are with this situation.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I know this works sometimes on golf club grips.  I've never tried it on handlebar grips though.  What you do is plug one end of the handlebar somehow.  Then you take an air blower and put it in the other end.  If you can keep the air in the handle bar and get the pressure high enough it might with a little bit of pulling at the same time come off.  Let me know how it works on handle bar girps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have done this,
unfortunately it can rarely be done without destroying the new style of handwarmers,
which are sandwiched between the bar and the grip,
Move all of the controlls out of the way,
take a small screwdriver and work it under the rubber,
then get an air gun and push it in there,
between the bar and the rubber,
and blow,
the shop had 130 PSI and I was able to separate the glue from about half of the grip,
then using the thinnest whatever you can find work it off while pushing from in to out.
some penetrating oil like WD-40 helps,
Hope like he11 you don't wreck the handwarmers,
they are about $20 a piece.
The grips, if you cut them off, are about $20 a pair,
but you may cut the handwarmers while cutting the grips off,
so it makes more sense to try to get them off without cutting.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You're in luck, I had to change my throttle block on the handle bars last year (the kill switch busted).  

Being the Frugal person I am, I also didn't want to have to purchase 30 bucks in extra hardware on top of the 50 or whatever it was for the throttle assembly.  If you have a heat gun, that will work..... it takes about 3 beers to get it hot enough to loosen the glue, but it will save the handwarmers.  

The worst part about it is when you get the grips nuclear, its almost impossible to pull them off without burning your hands.... so make sure you got a good thick set of gloves that are somewhat heat resistant.  I just worked on the grip for  about 20 minutes between heating the bar and letting it cool while I yanked and pulled on the grip.  

It WILL come off, but its a pain, so you might want to ask yourself, how much is my time worth?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts