Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 Indy 500 and need to remove the ski to have it welded (it's a bit beat up) and the cross pin holding the ski on broke when trying to remove it - it's bent so that I can't even drive it out, so I wanted to remove the ski somehow so that I can have the pin driven out at a machine shop and then have it welded and put it back on with a new pin that I have purchased. I'm somewhat new to snowmobile troubleshooting and was wondering if someone could help on what I should do next. Should I remove it by loosening the knurled shaft and sliding the ski down (will it do this?) while lifting the front end of the machine up? Any help would be appreciated since we're getting buried here in the UP of Michigan and I can use the snowmobile (around 26 inches on the ground in the last week)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Pin? There should be a bolt and nyloc nut holding the ski on the ski spindle, guess I have never heard of that bolt getting bent that bad, but you never know. Yes, you can take off the nut and bolt on the steering arm that attaches to the top of the spindle, remove the arm, and then slid the spindle with the ski still on it, out of the bottom of the trailing arm. There are nylon bushings at the top and bottom of the trailing arm, make sure they are in good shape, and replace if needed. Make sure you you mark the steering arm and the spindle shaft so when you put them back together, they are in the same position.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help - I'll either try to drill it out or take it off from the spindle and have it pushed out with an arbor press - it's probably severely corroded since we bought it used a few years ago and it's 15 years old now and I doubt it has ever been taken off before. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
577 Posts
Should I remove it by loosening the knurled shaft and sliding the ski down (will it do this?)

The spindle will not come out if you only loosen the bolt. You have to take the bolt out because it rides in a groove[/b]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts